Treats

Zelda didn't really know where to go. She was just walking around the castle aimlessly, hoping something exciting would happen. She stopped in the hallway near an elegant statue of a female warrior, clad in armour and holding a sword out heroically, a statue Zelda had admired when she was younger. Whenever she was bored, Zelda would always sneak away to visit this statue, and allow her mind to conjure up a story which often involved Zelda riding atop a mighty steed, clad in magnificent armour and wielding a deadly sword.

Those were the good old days when she was care-free and wasn't aware of how harsh the world could really be. Now, Zelda believed that this statue was only here to remind her that these fantasies could never be a reality.

"There's an amazing story behind that statue."

Zelda spun around to see Kogam standing a few feet away, standing stiffly upright.

"I've always wondered what it was." Replied Zelda.

Kogam walked over to the statue and placed a gentle hand on the hand that held the sword.

"Queen Celtra." Kogam explained, "Married to a past King of Hyrule, many years ago. Hyrule was thrown into a barbaric war, and the king was leading the Hyrulean army into it. The king was very brave and benevolent, and showed no fear. He was very good at encouraging the soldiers, assuring them that everything was going to be alright. Alas, he was killed in battle, and Hyrule mourned for his death. The war was still going on, yet Hyrule was thrown into chaos, unable to bring itself together to fight the enemy. The King's sons were too young to fight, and there was nobody to succeed him. To many people's surprise, the queen decided to step up and take charge of the army, despite the disapproval of a woman being in charge. She showed a sheer amount of bravery, and ended up leading Hyrule into an extraordinary victory. A victory that has been remembered for centuries."

"Wow... I never knew!" Exclaimed Zelda in awe.

Kogam nodded.

"Queen Celtra showed that even the most unimaginable people are capable of amazing things." He said, "And I believe that's what Link is doing right now."

"Leaving behind everything..." Zelda whispered, "All for what?"

"Well, that's Link for you." Kogam smiled, "Never really gives anything a second thought."

Zelda looked at Kogam curiously.

"I-I'm sure he thinks about you a lot, though!" He said hastily, "I mean like when it comes to choosing to pursue an urge or not."

He was just digging himself a deeper hole.

"Yes..." Zelda said, distastefully.

"I'm sure he'll be back." Kogam said, "He loves you more than anything. He can't bear to stay a second without you."

"I just want him back..."

********

"We have one more day until you're supposed to be back in Hyrule."

Link and Jorulph were relaxed in the garden with many bits of paper sprawled around them.

"Are you sure nobody is going to come here?" Link asked.

"Learians don't appreciate the simple beauty of nature." Jorulph replied, "They wouldn't even care to acknowledge the garden's existence."

Link shrugged and laid down on his back, staring into the vast sky.

"Do you want to go back?" Jorulph asked.

"More than anything!" Link exclaimed, "I've been officially betrothed to Zelda, and the thought of abandoning her hurts me. Not only Zelda, but Kogam, too."

"You and Kogam are pretty close, aren't you?"

"We've been best friends since I can remember." Link smiled, "Ahh, those were the good times."

Jorulph nodded.

"What about you and Torrik?" Link asked.

"Him! We met by accident." Jorulph laughed, "His father was my fathe- the King's executioner, so Torrik was around the castle a lot. We met in the kitchens when we both happened to be sneaking around for treats."

Link laughed. He could barely imagine Jorulph as a child, let alone a cheeky one looking for treats.

"That sounds like something Kogam and I would do in our spare time now!" Link chuckled.

"Fancy doing it now?"

Jorulph had a cheeky grin on his face.

"Wha- of course!" Link exclaimed.

Jourlph hastily picked up the bits of paper, and shoved them in his bag. He sprung onto his feet, and rubbed his hands together.

"I know that the king has his personal kitchen." He explained, "that's were all the good stuff are kept. Only he gets the best. 'the best for the best', he used to say."

"Won't we get killed if he finds out?" Asked Link.

"He won't if we're careful."

"Don't worry!" Jorulph said after seeing Link's face, "I've done it so many times!"

Link felt slightly at ease.

"C'mon, lets go!"

Jorulph ran into the castle hallway, and hid behind a pillar, peeking out childishly.

"Come in blue eagle, do you copy me blue eagle?" Jorulph mumbled into his hand.

"Roger that stinky bum!"

Jorulph glared at Link.

"His kitchen is just over there." Jorulph whispered as Link came over to him.

"And how do we get in?" Link asked.

Jorulph stepped out from behind the pillar and casually walked to the kitchen. He opened the door, and smiled at the chef.

"Good day!" He greeted, "Just here for some treats. Can I have extra, today?"

"Goodness Jorulph." Scolded the chef, "Asking for a bit is risky enough, and you have the guts to ask for extra."

The chef was an elderly woman, who seemed to have a kindly face. Jorulph stared at her pleadingly, and she laughed.

"I happened to save you extra today, anyway." She chuckled, "All of your favourites; toffee, cake, even the King's chocolate!"

"Thank you so much!"

She handed him over a small basket with a blanket over it.

"My, you have grown so much..." She said fondly, "I still remember a small boy sneaking in through the vents."

"I don't think I would fit anymore..."

She laughed again.

"Now get out before you get us killed!"

Jorulph strutted out of the kitchen, and held the basket up so Link could see.

"Oh, darling Jorulph has the treats." Link teased.

"Shut up or I'll shove them up where the light doesn't shine." He growled, "We'll eat these later. First, we have to go meet Torrik, and inform him about the plan."

"The plan which you still haven't told me?"

"Well, you're about to find out."

The more I write, the more I seem to love Jorulph! Call me crazy if you want. Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story, and any feedback from you would be amazing!