five • midnight

Midnight

Miles woke up in the middle of the night suddenly with his spider-sense going off. Every now and then it would go off at night when he was sleeping and cause him to wake up. It normally caused him to jerk in his sleep which is what woke him up, then realizing his spider-sense was to blame. The alarm clock showed it was barely past midnight and he had only been asleep for a few hours. With the urge to go out and see what was happening, why his spider-sense went off when there was no apparent danger, he quietly slipped out of his bed. Olivia was on the top bunk fast asleep, facing towards the wall. He had mastered changing into his suit quickly yet quietly and could do it in under thirty seconds. It was something you had to master with a job like this when you had to change quickly and quietly in a matter of seconds. The window was still left open from where he left it like that when he went to go hang out with his friends earlier that night. He actually meant to close it before he went to bed but he was so tired that the only thing on his mind was sleep.

Miles was in the alleyway below now. He looked up and down the street but it was vacant with people and cars. No sign of trouble that he could see.

"There had to be a reason why I was woken up at midnight." He mumbled.

Right as he started to go back to his room, something in his head was telling him to stop. To go on patrol and look around to see where the problem was. Something was holding him back, something was wanting him to save whoever needed him. Miles sacrificed his sleep and climbed up the brick wall. He shot a web at a nearby light post, took a running start, and was swinging his way through the nighttime. Brooklyn was beautiful both day in and day out but something about the nighttime made it more serene to him. The lights that flickered on the Brooklyn bridge seemed to be shining extra bright tonight as he flew past it. He didn't know where he was going but his instincts told him to keep going.

He turned invisible when he landed on a light post, having such a perfect balance that gymnasts were jealous of it. The streets appeared to be empty except a young woman that was leaving a 24/7 pharmacy with medicine for the baby she was carrying. Right as she unlocked her car door, his spider-sense went off yet again. Someone was approaching her from behind with something in their hand. Miles stood up immediately and and jumped off the light post. He shot a web at the unknown person which stopped him from attacking the woman. She heard the sudden yell, turning around to find both an attacker and Spider-Man.

"Go! Get out of here!" Spider-Man yelled.

The woman looked at Spider-Man with fear and gratitude as she put her baby in the car seat and drove off. Miles had the guy on the ground with his hands tangled in webs.

"Attacking a woman with a child? Seriously? Do you have no soul?"

The man groaned at the pressure being put on his back. "I never had one."

The pharmacy owner saw what was happening outside and called for help. Within a few minutes some policemen were on scene with the attacker now in custody.

"Spider-Man? What are you doing in this part of Brooklyn?"

"I don't know actually. Something told me to come here, instincts I guess."

The officer nodded, trying to hide his awe. "Well thank you for catching this guy. We've been after him for weeks."

Miles perked up at that. "Oh really? What has he done?"

"A lot of things. Attacking people. Stealing stuff. Basically being a menace to everyone and everything in sight. Thank you for helping us catch him."

"It's my job. No need to thank me officer."

The officer smiled and tipped his hat. "Well i did anyway. Brooklyn is lucky to have you."