thirteen • what's up danger

Three days later
New York City
3:47 p.m.

They needed a distraction and a good one. They didn't have time for mistakes or mess ups. Everything had to go as planned because if it didn't, they didn't know how they'd come back from it.

The time was now.

First, they needed to come up with a distraction of some kind. They needed to bait Carnage somewhere away from where the explosive was located so Miles could slip in and deactivate it. Cindy would be the one to cause the distraction. But the thing is they had no idea what the distraction would be.

"Carnage hasn't been seen in days. We don't even know if he's here!" Cindy said exasperated. She was pacing back and forth behind a restaurant where her and Miles were trying to form a plan.

"We just have to assume that he is. Where else would he be?"

She sighed. "How do we even lure him out?"

Miles thought about it for a moment. He knew what to do. "That's something I'm gonna have to do."

"How? What do you mean?"

On his feet now, Miles climbed up the wall. Cindy watched him climb over onto the roof which he did effortlessly. He looked down at her. "You'll see."

Confused, Cindy was about to ask more questions but Miles suddenly disappeared. She could see him swinging off in the distance. Before long she couldn't see him anymore and she wondered where he went or what he was trying to do. It was around fifteen minutes later when Miles dropped back down to where Cindy was. Startled, she turned around. He leaned against the wall out of breath.

"I think that should do it."

"What did you even do?"

"Swung around a lot. Tried to get the attention of any news reports that were out. If he sees me on TV and knows I'm somewhere out here, he'll come out and find me. He's so desperate to kill me he's probably watching the news to see if he sees me so he can pinpoint my location."

"Is that gonna work? How do you know he's watching?"

"It has to work. He's always watching."

Miles was right. Carnage just so happened to see Spider-Man swing by on the news behind a reporter. He slipped out from the sewers and was now out in the city. Miles and Cindy were in the center of New York City now. It was the same place where he fought Carnage not too long ago. He had his eye on the sewer cap that would probably lead him to what he was looking for.

"Now what?" Cindy asked.

"It's your time to shine. You need to swing now. I lured him out, now you gotta distract him. I go into the sewers, find the explosive and destroy it, and come back out. When I'm out we take down Carnage once and for all."

"Miles I-I don't think I'm capable-"

He stopped her. "Yes you are. I believe in you. You've been doing a lot of training and I wouldn't make you do it if I didn't think you were capable of handling it. I'm hoping this won't take me long. Just keep him away from this area. You ready?"

Her heart was beating so fast she was almost positive it'd burst. Miles ran towards the sewer cap but before he could climb down she stopped him.

"Spider-Man!"

He looked up. "Yeah?"

"Please be careful."

"Always."

Then he was gone. People on the streets were staring at the sewer entrance wondering what he was doing. She was still perched on the roof. Carnage was near, she could feel it. Lurking somewhere hidden. After a few seconds of motivating herself she finally started swinging.