fourteen • the truth

Santa Monica, California
Mid June

When school ended in May it was a relief to all students, especially seniors that were graduating. Miles and his friends all decided to plan a trip to Santa Monica where Camila had family at and stay there for around three weeks. It took a lot of convincing to even let Miles' parents consider letting him go but eventually they did. Camila's parents were with them along with Olivia's so they did have adult supervision and weren't by themselves. When they were a little bit older they'd definitely plan a trip and go by themselves.

California was a different world compared to New York. It did look quite similar but they weren't used to the different city layout. They didn't feel as cramped as they did in New York. Camila's family owned property there due to them being real estate agents. They owned two beach houses that were next door to each other. One was where her family stayed and the other was for guests which is where they'd be staying. They didn't know how to feel about having a whole beach house to themselves even though it wasn't that big. Miles, Gwen, Camila, Olivia, Ganke and Isaac were all staying together in the beach house together which could go good or bad. Since there was six of them, it'd be better for them to have something like that to stay in anyways.

"We have this to ourselves?" Ganke asked shocked.

"Yep! Since no one is living in this right now they're letting us stay here. Besides it's right next door and there's six of us." Camila said.

"How many bedrooms are there?"

"Three. Pick a roommate everyone."

Miles was with Ganke, Isaac with Camila, and Gwen with Olivia.

"Three bedrooms? Wow."

"They turned an office into a spare bedroom." Camila said. "More room for guests."

They walked around the beach house and they were in love with it. It had a long hallway that held the three bedrooms and a bathroom. The kitchen was across from the living room which was on your left when you walked in. It had a long couch with two comfy looking recliners that surrounded a coffee table. In the back of the house when you left the kitchen there was a small laundry room. The back door lead out onto a small patio, the beach straight ahead. When they went to sleep at night they could hear the waves crashing, a wonderfully peaceful sound.

"This is amazing. I can't believe they're letting us do this." Olivia said.

"They're really sweet. As long as we keep it clean and don't do anything stupid, we'll be fine."

"She's talking to you Isaac."

Isaac looked offended. "Hey! That's mean!"

They all unpacked their things and decided to rest for awhile before doing anything. The flight down here was pretty long. It was a trip they'd been saving for since Christmas break last year. Their parents put in a little too of course.

After most of them took a nap and ate something they went out onto the beach. There was a net nearby and Camila luckily had a volleyball so they played a little bit of beach volleyball. It was around four in the afternoon so it wasn't too late. The sunset that was forming in the sky was a beautiful sight, especially since it was at the beach. Beach sunsets were always the prettiest.

Olivia was sitting on a float in the ocean soaking in what was left of the setting sun while Gwen sat on a towel and read. The rest of them played volleyball. Miles quit after a while and decided to go into the ocean. Getting an idea to scare Olivia, he made her way over to her as quietly as he could. When he got to her he splashed her with more water than he intended.