seven • backup

"Miles, are those your pajamas?"

"Yeah? Why?"

"They're so boring!"

"They're pajamas, Liv. Who am I impressing? The monster under my bed?"

It was pajama day now at Visions as they continued on with homecoming week. Everyone came in the clothes they slept in, obviously, and had slippers on their feet and blankets in their arms. It took all they could do to not sleep in every class. Olivia had her sweatshirt and shorts with her cat slippers on her feet. Gwen was in a long sleeve and leggings, hugging a pillow to her chest.

"Have you fallen asleep yet Gwen?"

She yawned before answering. "No but I really want to."

Miles was just in a t-shirt and shorts with bunny slippers. Typical Ganke wore a tiger onesie. "Why a tiger though?" Miles asked.

"Because they're cool!" He suddenly got sad. "And almost extinct."

"Spreading tiger awareness?"

"Yes! They're so cute!"

"And deadly."

"Extremely deadly." Gwen added.

They were all currently at lunch. Miles had a hard time looking at Olivia after everything that happened in their room. It wasn't that he was afraid that she'd expose him, she would never do that, it was just he wasn't used to someone knowing his secret. It freaked him out. Knowing that someone in his close friend group knew scared him. Maybe at some point he'd get around to telling Ganke and Gwen. Maybe Isaac too.

"You playing basketball with Isaac tonight?" Ganke asked him. He was currently munching on some fries.

"Yeah. We were supposed to do it earlier but Physics homework got in the way like usual. Why?"

"With everything going on in town right now I didn't think you would?"

Miles paused. "What do you mean?"

"That guy Spider-Man has been dealing with. The weird freaky alternative Spider-Man that's not actually Spider-Man. Or is he? I don't know. All I know he's been all over the place recently and no one knows what he wants."

When Ganke said Spider-Man Olivia looked up. Her and Miles made eye contact and she looked away as if she thought she was giving herself away.

"His name is Carnage. No one knows what he wants. He seems to be after Spider-Man though."

"Why?" Ganke sighed. "Can't he just leave him alone?"

Miles wanted to smile. "You really like Spider-Man don't you?"

"That and he's literally all Brooklyn has and if it falls into the hands of someone like Carnage... we'd be screwed."

It hit Miles then. What Ganke said made him realize that if Brooklyn was to be in the hands of Carnage everything would fall apart. People would be scared. No one would feel safe enough to even leave their homes. Miles couldn't let that happen.

He needed backup.

And he knew exactly who he'd call.

—————————
Basketball court
Downtown
After school

"Miles!"

Isaac threw the ball to Miles who then started to dribble it. Someone was guarding him and trying to take the ball away. Miles threw it through their legs and it went straight to his other teammate. He started running down the court, slamming the ball into the net.