fifteen • parting ways

Two years later, senior year.
End of May
Day before graduation

"We graduate tomorrow!"

"How is everyone feeling?" Gwen asked the group.

"Weird." Miles said. Everyone else nodded. "It doesn't feel like everything is over. Believe me though, I'm glad to be done."

Miles and his friends were one day away from graduation. They were seniors that didn't think it would come soon enough but it finally did. One minute they were sophomores and the next they were getting their diploma. It was a crazy thing to them. As a freshman they thought the next four years would drag when in reality it felt like it happened in a second. You blinked and the school year was already over it felt like. After a certain point in the year, usually after homecoming in October, it all went by insanely fast.

By the time they left in early May, something all seniors did two weeks before graduation, the countdown would soon hit zero. Currently they were all hanging out in Ganke's parents apartment eating pizza and planning for tomorrow. They would have to move out of their dorm by July but most of them were already in the process of moving. Miles would be staying with his parents until August which is when he'd be leaving for college.

College was a scary thing to think about for them. Miles, Ganke, and Gwen would be leaving right after summer is over but the others would stay behind and do community college first or maybe take a year off. Miles and Ganke were going to the same one out of state, University of Vermont. When they both got admitted they were more than excited. They applied to a few others but that was the main one they both wanted to go to. It was out of state and the drive there was a total of five hours. Gwen was going to New York University which had her surprised she even got in. With the lower acceptance rate she was sure she'd get rejected. When she got her acceptance letter in the mail she thought it was a prank.

The three of them had their plans and would be leaving in August. Isaac, Camila, and Olivia would be staying behind in Brooklyn. The friend group that has been together since middle school would soon be breaking apart. Of course they'd all remain in contact but it wouldn't be the same. They'd visit whenever they could but it wasn't all that often. They all tried not to think too much about it right now.

"What time is it?" Gwen asked.

"Almost four now."

"I'm so nervous." Olivia was picking at her slice of pizza. "I'm probably gonna trip or something."

"Please do."

She hit Isaac on the shoulder but was laughing.

"We've had enough practices so we should be fine. We just have to walk at the same pace or else we're screwed."

"Who knew walking was so complicated."

While they ate Miles realized something. Something he had yet to realize. It hit him like a truck, coughing a little as he tried to drink some water.

Who would take the role of Spider-Man while he was at college?

It was something he never really thought about. Could he continue being Spider-Man in a different state? He knew that was too complicated and risky, there's no way he could do it. Not while living on campus. There was no way he couldn't just leave without someone there to take over.

He knew who would.

Before he went to bed he visited Cindy. When he explained everything she did more than panic.

"Why are you suddenly telling me this?"

"I graduate tomorrow! I leave in August for college! Besides, you've known for a year this would happen."