S01E07 - Girlfriends

After making passionate love on the ground canvased by grass, we both lied their watching the white clouds move pass the bright blue sky, gasping for air as we did. I was feeling free enough to actually close my eyes and relax. I felt Beth taking her head off my chest. Her silky hair left the touch of my skin. I heard her foot steps walking away and suddenly something dropped onto me. I opened my eyes and saw my pants laying on me.

“You better put them on if you don’t wanna flash Ryan.” She said fitting into her bra.

I walked the ground and fetched my cloths which were laying around among hers. After getting decent, we left the rippling music of the lake and the twitters of the birds in forest to check on Ryan at our camp. When we got there, Ryan was leaning against a tree and he had the bag of apples near him. Taking a bite out of one, he looked at us with an evil smile.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing.” He said.

“There’s a lake down there.” Said Beth.

“Yeah I saw” Ryan said making me feel uneasy. “And I saw something else too. So I came back here and ate apples until you guys finish.”

“That’s gross!” Yelled Beth making a weird face.

“Totally.” Said Ryan. “Let’s go I wanna see the lake.”

We three walked back to were Beth and I was. Ryan examined the apple tree as we passed it by.

“This shit’s huge! How did you managed to get so many apples?” He asked.

“Ask her.” Said I.

After approaching the rock that leaned towards the lake, Ryan took a huge breath just like I did, proving that the change in atmosphere was unbelievable.

“Unlimited food and water.” Said Ryan.

“Pretty cool huh?” Asked Beth.

“Yep—and it’s damn tasty.” Said Ryan taking another bite out of the apple he grabbed.

“I have an idea, and I think it’s the best thing for all of us.” Said Beth getting in front of us, preparing for her announcement. “I think we should stay here—forever.”

She examined our first impressions as I smiled through my nose as if she was a mental patient.

“Think about it.” She continued. “Fresh water, food, space, beautiful sceneries?” She waited for us to get hyped. “I know that we can’t eat apples forever but there’s enough ground to grow whatever we want, and who knows what’s in that forest.”

“What about those dead cannibal assholes?” Ryan asked.

“I didn’t see any of them around here.” Said Beth. “Think about it—there were no people here before, so no assholes either.”

“What about him?" Asked Ryan pointing at me. "He’s an asshole."

“Thanks bro.” Said I. “I don’t know Beth should we settle down just now?” I asked.

“What do you mean by just now? You want some shit to happen—get bitten or something to settle down?” She asked.

“We survived this far who knows what’s waiting for us out there? We wouldn’t meet you if we settled down at some point along the road.” I placed my argument.

“So what you want to keep going to find more girls?” She asked.

“What?” I asked lost. “That doesn’t even make sense.”

“Ryan—tell him!” She commanded.

Ryan kept his big eyes on. “What?”

“Tell him that we should stay and not go around looking for more girls.”

“What about Ryan he needs a girlfriend—Ryan don’t you need a girlfriend?”

“I… I’m good.” Said Ryan backing off with his half eaten apple.

“You know what,” Said Beth. “I’m staying. You can go if you want.” She said walking past us to the camp.

Ryan and I enjoyed the rhythms of the forest as warm wind struck us with ease.

“So you and Beth.” Said Ryan.

“Yep." I Said. "Me and Beth.”

“Good for you.” Said Ryan. I wanted to fill him in with all the details.

“You are not gonna believe how it happened man.” I started. “This morning when I woke up she was...”

“Shut up I don’t give a shit.” Said Ryan tossing his apple to the water, and my excitement. “Bro we can’t stay here.”

“I know—I agree.” Said I. “Still you think there’s something out there for us?”

“Most probably.” Said Ryan. “It’s like this—we are in a shit-hole country old village right. When something like this happens, nobody cares about these areas. Let’s assume that this thing is world-wide. If so, the big cities must be secured by government or military—you know—quarantined. Even if it’s not, we should settle down in a McDonald’s or a KFC, not near a big-ass apple tree.”

“I know—I know.” I said nodding.

“Dude—if we stay here that means we are going to be cavemen. Do you wanna be a caveman bro?”

“No I do not.” I stated.

“Good—cause we have a nice Benz. Don’t like that? Pick any car from the road. There are unlimited gas, food and stuff along the way in stores, dude and it’s totally free.”

“Well?” I said remembering the downside to the situation.

“Right now all we can do is keep travelling. We’ll handle whatever happens. And yes—I want a girlfriend too.”

“Alright then” I said hyped. “Let’s get you a girlfriend!”

“Now we are talking bitch!”

After having one of the weirdest conversations in my life, we went back to our camp. I had a small argument and explained the situation to Beth and she got convinced after much effort. But before we left, we had to enjoy every last bit of this paradise. We jumped into the lake’s warm water as it raised up to the sky and swam up and down along it, sprinkling. I never thought I’d be playing water-sports with a girlfriend and my best friend while dead walkers roamed the empty streets. At our temporary camp, we had one bag full of medicine and useful supplies. The other bag was filled with apples—hundreds of them enough for us to last a couple of days, only if we didn’t find some other source. We washed ourselves and our clothes, blood off my pants, and rested in the warm luxuries morning sunlight, on the green grass canvas, waiting to be dried off. Nice, friendly, pleasant conversations took place while we did, probably as a result of getting refreshed.

After the good times, I got behind the wheel of the vehicle. Beth got on to the front seat with me as Ryan sat back with the shotgun on his lap. It felt like we were about to take part in a huge, new, exiting journey. I slowly placed my foot on gas thinking of the lake—thinking if leaving was a mistake. There was no chance for doubt. Ahead of me was the endless street. We slowly drifted away to whatever was waiting for us.