S02E03 - Pack Up

The lonely day passed by very slowly. I lost Beth’s company to Ryan who lied on a bed inside the house. I was there when he got his consciousness back. The shock from being shot by the walker must have triggered a psychological effect that I couldn’t understand. He was mumbling his past memories non-stop.

I walked back to the garden and saw Mike, Emily and the woman I met in the kitchen, whom defended the prisoner in the shed against me. They patrolled the area with weapons in their hands, keeping a look out after the dreadful incident. The two pieces of the police officer were not there anymore. They were gone leaving only the blood patches on ground. Someone must have cleaned it up while we were inside the house, watching Derek do his work on Ryan, waiting to be asked for help. I walked over to the hammock and took my rest there as before. Only this time, I had my handgun next to me.

“What happened?” Patricia’s childish voice reached my ears.

“A walker used a gun.” I muttered.

“How? I thought they were like—animals.” She asked, once again wrapping around the white rope.

“Me too.” I said, getting my handgun away as if I were inviting her in. She kept looking at me with her sparkling blue eyes then jumped on next to me, rocking the hammock back and forth.

“Doesn’t matter, I feel safe when I’m with you.” She said.

“Really?” I asked back. “I couldn’t even protect my brother.” I said as I felt my eyes putting all kinds of barriers for the tear drop.

“It’s not your fault.” She said.

“I told him to fight that thing.” I said back. “I wasn’t thinking straight, and now he’s there going crazy about how he got a bike for his tenth birthday.”

“You don’t have to carry everyone on your shoulders.” She said. “It’s not your responsibility.”

“He’s my friend—that makes him my responsibility.” I argued.

Pulling me out from my apologetic thoughts, I heard the screams of Emily, Patricia’s mother. She was in the far corner of the garden keeping a look out seconds before. Now she was running towards us calling for help while a horde of walkers followed her.

“Oh my god!” Said Pat jumping off from the hammock and I followed her with a tight grip on my handgun.

“Stay here!”

I commanded as I ran towards the lady in danger. I saw Mike joining me with the other side holding his hatchet and waving it violently as he sprinted. I ran wildly without a plan towards the horde of walkers, not realizing that my handgun and I weren’t a match for them. When I saw Emily losing her balance and dropping onto the dusty ground, my heart stopped. Hearing Pat wail and Mike curse, I gave my feet a rest. Standing in the middle as Mike kept getting closer and closer to her, I tried to aim my weapon at the horde. The sprinting made me grab huge breaths one after another, hurting the steadiness which was essential for the distance.

First shot blasted, a walker dropped. Second one blasted, another one dropped and got run over by the others. Mike had stopped, I knew he wasn’t the person to sink a hatchet into the dead. With only one bullet and more than three dozens of walkers to kill, I stood there as an angel of death. I aimed my gun back, closed my eyes, and opened them again with the decision dwelling on my mind. I remembered how Beth got run over in the nightmare. I knew what would’ve happened to her. Emily stopped moving as I felt the bullet leave my fingertips. I murdered her as Patricia’s cry pierced my ears.

I turned back to see the people watching me with their eyes as big as possible. Behind me the walkers had stopped on tasting Emily’s dead body. It didn’t work on all of them. Some kept coming disregarding the bait.

“We gotta get the hell out of here.” I said.