S02E02 - The Thing

Ryan lied on the ground lifeless. The walker dressed in rotten police uniform kept pointing the gun as he made his growls. I saw Beth falling before Ryan’s body and pressing the wound that was soaking his shirt, screaming my name as she did. I felt my heartbeat rising, I felt my breaths fighting for space to leave in my nose. I felt my fists getting tightened. I was ready to shred that thing into pieces.

I walked pass the walker whom still had his gun pointed. I went over to Derek’s wood chopping setup, keeping my sight fixed on the axe that was stuck deep on a piece of wood. I placed my foot on the piece of log, then put my strength on pulling the axe up. The people emerged from the house once again, responding to the gunshot sound. They watched me as I freed the axe and walked towards the walker whom still had his hand stretched, just like when he shot my friend. As I got closer, he looked at me and gave me the same vicious look he gave to Ryan, right before pulling the trigger. The act was impossible. It couldn’t have happened. But my best friend laid dead few feet away offering solid evidence that it was real.

I raised the axe up, as high as I could, keeping my eyes locked on his stretched hand. Then I landed the axe onto his arm chopping it off with a single shot. The axe went right through and smashed the ground with the power it had, while the piece of arm was tossed away. The armless walker kept giving me the vicious look, as if he didn’t notice his arm being cut off. With holding the axe on my left hand, I blasted his face with a punch. I felt my hand sinking into his skull as he was pushed back. Keeping his balance with his nose sunk into his skull, the thing kept growling, starring me down as if he were cursing me. Not willing to take that sight for another second, I swung the axe right through his neck separating his body from his head.

Mike was behind me for my aid. I turned to Ryan ignoring him. Derek was pressing his shoulder. He ripped a piece off from his checkered shirt to dress the wound. Beth knelt besides him squeezing her mouth with her hand, as tears rolled down her eyes. I turned and looked at Mike. He was looking back at me, terrified. Feeling the same as him, I turned back to Ryan.

“Is he alive?” I asked, calmly.

“Yes!” Derek said. “Who the hell shot him!?” He asked dressing the wound.

“The walker.” I said.

“What!” Derek yelled.

“How is that possible?” I heard Mike’s voice from behind, which I chose to ignore once again.

“It just shot him!” Said Beth through her fingers in her broken voice.

“What about the bullet?” I asked as I noticed the people rounding us muttering questions.

“It’s not here.” Said Derek. “It went pass through his shoulder.”

“Can we get him inside?” Asked Beth.

“Not while he’s bleeding like this—” Said Derek. “I need more bandages!”