Season 02 Premiere 2/2

I kept looking at the apple tree. Behind me the endless stream of water passed by, astonishing me with its rippling music. I sat on the rock feeling its warmness due to the mid-day sunlight. Beth was settled up high on the apple tree, eating as she sat on the tree branch. I kept gazing at her as hundreds of walkers made their way to us in a bunch, howling and roaring as they did. I wanted to warn her, I wanted to get her away from there to safety. Walkers kept coming as I was speechless. I stretched my hand long, opening my mouth to spit out the words. She held her posture, as walkers climbed their way up to the tree. Soon enough, one of them pulled her leg down to the ground. She dropped on to the horde of monsters as I watched her getting torn apart into pieces by the growling beasts. She tried to reach for me as one of them stuck his teeth deep into her neck. A hand came from within the horde and pressed the fingers into her eyeball, then pulled it out, as she screamed my name in tremendous pain. Blood rushed through her empty eye socket painting her face in crimson.

I sat on the bed at once as I was struck by a lightning storm with Millar's knife stuck face flashing on my mind. Soaking the sheets wet with my sweat, I placed my hand on my bear chest. I felt my shivering breath leaving my body as my heart pounded within me. Morning sunlight pass on to my face through the curtain folded window, making my eyes squint with agony. I dropped and lied back on the bed, resting my weakened body on the comfortable mattress.

After a small period with my eyes closed, trying to remember the nightmare, I again sat on the bed. Freeing my feet from the wrapped around sheets, I stood up stretching my body. Yawning as I did with the little sleepiness I had left, I searched for my shirt on the bed, which I failed to notice. I walked over to the half-opened door passing the other bed. It was well prepared as it was yesterday night. ‘Didn’t Ryan sleep?’ I thought to myself.

Walking out of the room, I found myself on the hallway. Passing several doors to some other rooms, I reached the staircase. The ground floor was much crowded than where I was. I saw people working in the kitchen, and out of nowhere, Christine jumped on to me screaming.

“Did you get scared?” She asked after, exited.

“No.” I said in my deep, sleepy voice. “I saw you coming.”

“You’re lying.” She said grabbing my hand with both of hers. “You look very scared.”

“I had a nightmare.” Said I.

“You have nightmares too?” She asked. “I have nightmares every time I sleep.”

“Hey um, where’s Ryan and Beth?” I asked.

“There’re outside, drinking coffee.”

“We have coffee?!” I asked delighted by the news.

With holding the precious mug carefully, I went down the steps and felt the touch of cold sand below my feet. As I did, the sensation of early morning struck me with the cold wind bashing on to my exposed chest, making me shiver. The fresh smell came from Derek’s wood chopping setup astounded me with a strange feeling of freedom. Far away, on a tree that has been cut and laid long on the ground near the edge of the forest, Ryan and Beth were sitting enjoying their morning beverage as well. I walked over to them returning to their smiles of welcome.

“It’s so cold here, find a shirt.” Said Beth.

“He wants to show off his abs.” Said Ryan. “We saw it already dude, it’s gross.”

“I can’t find my shirt. Hey! She’s wearing mine!” I said, suddenly noticing my shirt on Beth.

“It was freezing cold when I woke up.” She said.

“You have the tank top give me the shirt.” I demanded.

“If you’re cold you can cuddle with me, I’m not taking this shirt off.” She stated.

I sat down and ran my hand around her, getting closer as she rested her head on my chest.

“Don’t do that.” Said Ryan. “It brings up bad memories from last night.”

“Trevor he saw us!” Yelled Beth into my ear.

I chuckled at her complain, taking a sip out of the fresh hot cup of coffee.

“You were good bro.” Said Ryan nodding as I sprayed my precious coffee all over the air from my mouth.

As we enjoyed the warmness of morning sunlight battling away the coldness of the night, I saw Enrick and Jane mildly walking towards the water well. Recovering my shirt from Beth after much physical effort, I went for the Handers putting my shirt on, leaving her with a messy hair.

They were mumbling in a way that brought my suspicion up. I remembered Millar’s warnings, the advises he gave as if he was passing his legacy to his successor. The serious look on Enrick’s face and concerned Jane were wood to the fire. I walked over to them with a fake smile taking over my face, as they saw me and offered me the same.

“Hey buddy!” Called Enrick. “How’re you settling in?!”

“Can’t complain.” I said. “I’m glad Christine’s okay.”

“I’m right there with you bud.” He replied. “We were just talking about the crops.”

“What about them?” I asked.

“They aren’t getting enough water.” He said.

I realized the situation. The sense of mystery ached me to confront the Handers.

“I thought we have enough water.” I said pointing to the water well behind them.

“Yes, but who would carry all buckets right?” He asked chuckling as his wife tagged along.

“Trevor!”

I heard Beth’s alarmed voice from behind. As I turned around, I saw Ryan and Beth standing up facing the subtle forest behind the slayed tree log. A cop in a uniform was walking out of it in the god forsaken rhythm. Facing his meals, the walker growled in horror. The ripped open skin starting from his mouth exposed a part of his skull. The blue shirt was torn apart revealing the damaged torso from bite marks. To my surprise, he held a handgun in his hand.

“Is that a gun?” Asked Jane.

“We got a bad-ass over here!” Said Ryan.

“Look for something to kill him silently.” I said.

“I got dibs on him!” Said Ryan.

“There’s a shovel over there at the crops.” Said Enrick getting hyped. “I’ll get it.”

“No need.” I stopped him. “Ryan—do it old school.”

Ryan stepped forward with a smile of excitement as Beth pulled his hand back.

“You’re gonna get bitten asshole.” She objected.

“You hear that bro!?” He called me. “The cop’s gonna bite my asshole!”

Ryan shook off her hand and kept walking towards the mindless beast. As he got close enough, Ryan launched a blasting kick to the walker’s stomach as he was pushed back and dropped sliding. I walked over to them for a clear picture. I saw the lying walker standing up with much effort. Holding the weapon in one if his hands, he examined his shirt. With his skinless fingers, he tried to fix the ripped open shirt, as if he was dressing up. The audience watched the strange act as I saw Ryan slowly backing up. The walker raised his head and gave his opponent a terrifying look.

“Ryan—” I murmured as I saw the impossible. The walker started to raise his hand along with the weapon. I saw Ryan looking at me, asking for answers. As the weapon got in line with Ryan, the walker growled with anger. With a huge blasting gunshot sound, Ryan fell down to the ground.