Chapter 14

Sorry the ending is a bit sloppy. I hope to fix it later. Please comment and vote if you like the story so far or have questions.

Have a lovely day (or night). ❤️

~J. King

It was so loud that it could have woken up the dead. For me, being alive, I was fully awakened and ready to roll away as fast as possible.

There is no way that this is okay. What do I do? Will they hear me? Will they come to my room next? What stupid murderer would come to this apartment complex? We don't have any money and don't spend our time causing drama! We have bills to pay!

I thought about calling Kendra or Saturn. Kendra could at least have a story to tell the police if I died or something. I could warn Saturn to not come back to the apartment. However, fear drove me to seal my mouth shut. The idea of even whispering sky rocketed my anxiety. In my mind, I knew Saturn never came home until her shift was over, which was in a few hours. She was safe and would worry a shit ton if I called.

Dramatic much? I'm not going to die. The person is not in my apartment. I just need to lay low. No need for the police to be getting in my business neither. They will just make a mess of the place and my schedule.

As college students, we took pride in our personally owned, quite small slice of heaven. We had a kitchen, a living room, and a bedroom on each side of the apartment. All of this said, these areas did not  obtain the amount of space they deserved. It did not give me much room to flee from the unseen danger.

After three pushes of my wheels, I arrived in Saturn's room at the left corner of the apartment. The lock made the tiniest sound as I twisted it. From there, I allowed myself a bit more noise level and took less caution while moving around. The closed door provided an additional barrier, which added to my sanity.

Her walls were decorated with a dark blue paint that would be a pain to paint over. For the most part, the layout it was simple, with an unmade bed and cluttered nightstand. Saturn made it her duty to arrange vases with flowers around the room to brighten up the place since she didn't have my luxurious window. A silver butterfly photo holder hung on the wall opposite of her bed.

A dreamy smile spread across my face as I called to mind the memories she kept readily available before resting upon her bed.

As I stared at the ceiling, I had nothing to do except imagine what could be happening in the other apartment. Out of idiocy, I left my phone on the counter, my computer too. Every book I could want to read was in my room, closest to the ruckus. Saturn would flip if she found out I rifled her stuff, even if out of boredom.

Just imagine.

On a normal day, I wouldn't have gone out with Kendra and my new friends. I would stay home and whip myself up a sandwich or soup for dinner. Hopefully, a new episode of Stranger Things was on Netflix. I'd eat my dinner in front of the TV.

Soon my conscious would guilt trip me and convince me to complete at least one assignment on the computer.

I returned to the couch after fetching my computer. Most days I took the time to type instead of complete things through my power-backed thoughts. My fingers typed away on my key board, and I relished the sound. Relief expanded in my chest as I prepared to be done with whatever I was doing and go to bed.

My thoughts were just as sluggish as my body.

Another day at the Cyber Center tomorrow. I've got to get my beauty sleep so people don't look at me funny. Or I won't blush when Kendra jokes that I stayed up all night getting lucky.