Chapter 17

For a woman in her early seventies, she had a lot of passion coursing through her veins.

Momma was as feisty as they got.

Our of some miracle, I caught the scrub brush before it hit my face. No hi or how are you first?

Momma turned on her heel and walked toward the house. She swung her hips with sass.

"Come on, baby. There's a kitchen sink, stove, and some laundry waitin' for ya. No time to sit around." I wonder if she remembers that I technically sit around all the time... because I have a wheelchair.

There was no gain by talking back to her. I rolled up her ramp and got to work.

~~~...~~~

My Momma had fit in very well when we made the move down South. She picked up the accent much faster than I did. While she didn't gossip, she liked having her voice heard and was a compassionate, giving person. She basked in the heat and weird critters she sometimes found outside. Instead of moving to the city, she found a cozy house in the suburbs of Augusta. Most people living near her accepted her personality with open arms. If not, it was their loss.

As she swept, I admired her as she danced with the broom across the kitchen floor. Country music played through her radio. If only I had my legs, I could join in. Her head swayed from side to side, none of her hair slipping from her neat bun. Like most women, she dyed her hair to hide the emerging grey roots. However, today I could see a few peaking out. My heart warmed at the thought.

"Did I tell you that you look beautiful today, Momma?"

"What?" She yelled over the music.

"You look beautiful, Momma!"

She rolled her eyes, but a smile tugged at her lips.

"You are the biggest liar I know. I am wearing scrubs. I'm covered in dust. My skin is wrinkly. I'm not wearing any makeup. My old lady hair is showing, but I knew you wouldn't care. I don't think you could take me anywhere. Don't worry, I'll touch up my roots before the guests come." Her gaze swept over my progress. She crinkled her nose like she smelled rotting eggs.

"How is that counter comin'? I think I could get the neighbor's dog to do better."

"Momma, this already clean! How many times do I have to say this? You clean every day. Do you even live in this house or is it just for show?" Momma set down the broom and stood next to me. With a towel in her hands, she wiped off some soapy water from the counter.

She said with a smirk, "Sounds like complaining to me." Then, she twisted the towel and snapped it at my shoulder.

"Momma!" I exclaimed and grabbed a towel to get my revenge. Like a clever fox, she evaded my every move to hit her back. It didn't help that she had the advantage of mobility compared to my wheelchair. In the end, I threw it at her. Tears fell from our eyes as we laughed in the same barking cackle. Momma leaned against the table as she tried to catch her breath.

"Are y'all okay in there?" Saturn peaked her head in. Noticing the broom, our towels, and the lemon soap smell, her eyes widened. She nervously smiled, knowing she couldn't back out now.

"All good. Come in! We have plenty of room," Momma said. She pulled out two chairs for Saturn and herself. I watched from a distance to scope out the situation.

Momma said cheerfully, "It's been so long! How you've been? Come give me a hug." Why didn't I get this abundance of love? I'm stuck cleaning! Well, I should have known Saturn was her favorite.

Saturn replied, "I am doing great! I am slowly progressing toward my Biochemistry degree. Only two years left for Carles and I. How exciting! I'm so glad I'm not becoming a doctor. You know how I can't deal with blood. Plus, many of my class friends are already studying for the MCAT exam. I don't think I could sit still for seven hours. And then there is applying for medical school. Sheesh! It's like applying to college for the first time but even more stressful!" Momma nodded in understanding.