Chapter 3

Carol's POV

"So what are you going to the party as?" Tina asks.

"I'm not sure," I state. "But trust me, I've got a few ideas."

I'm not really paying that much attention to the conversation. I'm noticing something else. Tommy and a few of the other boys are staring at that loser... like they do everyday. She is the definition of an outcast, but they don't care. She's gorgeous... and she's not even trying.

UGH! I'm so jealous!

"Carol," Vicki says. "Carol, what on earth are you looking at?"

"My boyfriend is looking at that loser... again."

They both turn to see what I'm seeing. Several other boys are admiring her as well. Even the new guy is looking at her. She doesn't notice. I've got to find a way to knock her down and put her back in her place... but how?

"I have a plan," Tina states as if she's reading my mind. "Follow me."

Seven's POV

I'm standing at my locker when I hear footsteps moving towards me. A hand shuts the door to my locker. I see three of the more popular girls, Carol, Tina and Vicki, standing in front of me.

"Um uh... hi," I say slightly confused.

"Hey," Tina greets me with a smiling face. "You're Casey, right?"

"Yes."

"Well, Casey, we've been talking, and we were wondering if you were coming to the Halloween party tonight."

"Um, I mean, I didn't really plan to. I typically don't go to many social things. I guess that's kinda obvious."

"Oh, now come on. There's no way you can do nothing on Halloween. I think you should come."

"Hey," Carol adds. "We can even come pick you up. This'll be fun."

"Uhh..." I start hesitantly. "I mean..."

"Come on. You'll have a great time."

I really hope this isn't a horrible mistake...

"Ok. I'll come."

"Great! We'll pick you up around 7:00. Cool?"

"Sure."

With that, they walk away. I'm not truly sure if they were being sincere about what they said. I'm hoping that they were. I'm also hoping this wasn't a mistake.

I ignore those thoughts for the rest of the day. I mean, it's Halloween. Today is supposed to be a good day. I'm excited when school lets out. I know the group of boys were dressing up today. I rush down to the middle school to see their costumes. They're the Ghostbusters, and I absolutely love it.

"Oh guys," I start. "These costumes are super cool!"

"No one else dressed up..." Dustin tells me dejected.

"Well, that's ok. You guys look amazing."

"But they looked at us like we were losers and freaks."

"Guys," I hear Jonathan say behind me. "I told Will this last night, but being a freak is the best. Heck, Casey and I are freaks."

"Yeah," I chime in. "It means you get to be what you want instead of what other people want you to be."

They all smile. They look at each other. They give each other a high five. They then look back to Jonathan and me.

"So, are you guys going trick or treating tonight?" I ask.

"Oh yeah!" Will exclaims.

"What are you doing tonight?" Lucas questions.

"Well... uh... I..."

"Don't tell me they dragged you into going..." Jonathan says.

"Yeah... Hoping this isn't a mistake."

"Going to what?" Mike asks.

"Nothing," Jonathan and I both say.

"Ok..."

"Casey," he starts. "Nancy has convinced me to go. I'll probably be there later, but if you run into trouble, just remember I'm probably there."

"Thanks..."

I wonder what would've happened if I said no to their invitation. Would any of this have happened? Would my life be the same? Would I still have met... him...