Chapter 14

Billy's POV

"Guys! He's coming around!" I hear a familiar voice yell.

"Where-" I start groggily. My world is very fuzzy. My mind is too.

Am I drunk?

"Shhh..." the soft, sweet voice says. "Hey. You're ok. I'm right here."

"Are you an angel..."

"No. I'm Casey."

"Oh... Casey... You're really pretty... you know that..."

She giggles.

"I really wanna... kiss you," I slur having no idea what I'm saying. "I... I wanted to kiss you that day at basketball practice... but I didn't..."

I hear someone laughing in the background. I recognize that it's Max. I finally regain my bearings... and realize what just came out of my mouth. My eyes go wide as everything finally comes into view. I see Casey looking down at me.

"Ummm..." I stutter. "I ummm... yeah... uhhh..."

Suddenly, she leans down... and plants one on me. We stay there for a few seconds... but it feels as if time has stopped. When she sits back up, I know the look on my face is one of shock.

"Ummm..." I start. "That was... uhhh... wow."

I hear someone start applauding in the background. We both look to see Max applauding outside of... my car...

Why are we in my car...

"Finally," she laughs.

Everyone else looks at us with wide eyes. Steve looks like he just can't believe it. Lucas is standing there with his mouth hanging wide open.

"Ok," Dustin starts. "Not that this isn't like adorable or whatever... but we have bigger problems."

"Oh... yeah..." Casey adds.

I see something out of the corner of my eye. Casey's hand rests on the side of my face. I see her wrist and see a... tattoo...

"Is that a tattoo?" I ask her.

"Yeah," she starts. "Um... long story, but I'll have to tell you later."

"Casey, what's going on?"

"Billy, I promise you that I will explain everything. Right now, we need your help."

I look up at her face... right beside her eye. I gently brush her hair out of her face and place it behind her ear. Now, I have a clear view of it. A bruise is starting to form there... a bruise I put there. I've seen bruises like that on my own face... from my father... now... I can't do this to her... I ... I ... I love her too much...

"Hey. Hey," she starts. "It's ok."

"No... No it's not... Casey, I hurt you."

"Listen to me... I know you never meant to hurt me."

"Why..."

"Why what?"

"Why do you care? Why do you care about me?"

"Billy, I-"

"Guys!" Dustin yells from outside.

Kid... come on... really...

We both get out of the car to see a giant hole. Casey goes and grabs something out of the trunk. She has goggles, a bandana around her nose and mouth and a metal pipe in her hand. Steve has goggles and a bandana but has the bat that Max had earlier in his hand. The rest of the kids have the same but have gasoline and matches in their hands. Casey hands me the goggles and bandana and a crowbar.