Chapter 7

Seven's POV

I snuck down to the middle school during lunch period. After realizing who Billy was yesterday, I've decided I should probably talk to Max. I don't see her outside or in the cafeteria. I remember that she is friends with the AV club, so I check the AV room. I knock on the door to hear a couple of the boys' voices.

"Hey guys," I start. "Is Max in there with you?"

"Casey?" I hear Max say.

"Yeah. Is there any chance I can come in?"

I hear a bit of discussion before the door opens. I walk in to see Dustin holding what looks like some type of slug. I stare at it for a moment.

"Whatcha got there, fellas?"

They look back and forth at each other before answering.

"We're honestly not quite sure," Dustin explains. "We thought we might, but it doesn't really match a species. We call him Dart".

"I was kinda figuring that."

Ok... that looks like something that could've come from the lab... could it be?

I reach out towards him to touch him. I don't think about turning my wrist down. I don't think about the fact that the tattoo on my wrist is completely visible.

"What's that?" I hear Will ask.

He is looking directly at my wrist. I pull it back out of sight. I hear my heart beat faster. I don't know if he got a good look at it or not.

"It's just a bruise," I lie.

"It looks like a tat-" Will starts.

"Just a bruise. Can I borrow Max for a second?"

"Sure," they all say.

"Great. Good luck with the slug. You'll have to let me know what it is. Bye fellas."

"Bye Casey."

We walk out of the AV room. We head to one of the classrooms and sit down. I don't even have to tell Max what this is about. She already knows.

"Casey," she begins. "I'm not really sure what to tell you about Billy. He's acting like he's been taken over by aliens, but you need to know... you need to know what you're getting into."

"What do you mean?"

"Billy is... I don't know how to put this nicely. Billy is crazy. I called him psychotic for a reason. He's completely unhinged. And girls... well... they're kinda his thing. I just... I don't want to see him hurt you. I've never seen him be sincere with a girl. Typically, they tend to be more like playthings. I don't want to see him do that to you. I don't want to see you one day with a bruise on your skin that he placed or a broken heart... or something possibly worse."

I have to take this all in. It's a lot to take at one time. This guy that has appeared to be my friend... there's a possibility that he's a completely different person. How do I know if what I'm seeing is real? I hate to even think this way, but is Max right? Is there even a chance that... No... I can't think that way... but I have to wonder... Is he... Is he playing me?

"Max... do you think it could be possible that this is different?"

"Maybe... I'm not sure... typically I know, but this time... this time I don't know what's going on."

I thank Max for talking to me and head back towards the high school. Her words stick with me all day. I don't want to doubt Billy, but I just have to know.