Chapter 12

Max's POV

We start gathering everything we can to make sure that Will won't find out where he is. We clean out the Byers' shed. We cover the walls in paper, cloth, foil... anything we can get our hands on. We set up a light that will shine onto a chair where Will will be tied. I gather supplies with Seven.

"So," she starts. "You and Lucas?"

"What?" I ask.

"You and Lucas..."

"What about it?"

"Oh come on. I'm not that blind. I think everyone's figured that one out."

"Oh. No. No. He's not... We're not..."

"Uh huh... come on now... if you're gonna aggravate me about... well, you know... then I get to aggravate you some about this."

"Um... ok. Fine. Maybe a little."

"It's ok. Your secret's safe with me."

"Whatever... So, speaking of which... you and Billy..."

"I don't know exactly what's going on there."

"That's such a lie... He is crazy about you."

She laughs.

"I'm serious," I tell her.

"Are you sure?"

"I am. Case- Seven..."

"Either name works, Max."

"Ok. I feel better calling you by a name rather than a number. Casey, I've never ever seen him like this. Sure, he was working out when I left, but I heard him planning out what he needed to do: shower, clothes, which he decided he had to have his red shirt to wear because he said you like it, hair... which I'm sure he was messing with until he left the house... and everything else. The Billy Hargrove I know... most of the time... sure, he cares about his appearance... but nothing like that. He wanted to impress you so badly."

"He doesn't have to do that..."

"Huh?"

"He doesn't have to try to impress me..."

"Cause you..."

"Yeah..."

I feel myself smile as she says that. Plus, the look on her face and in her eyes tells me everything. Billy isn't the only one in love... So is she...

"He's probably freaking out..." she states sadly.

"Don't worry. He'll be ok. He knows you better than that."

We finally have what we need. We watch as the chief takes Will to the shed. The door closes. Soon, we hear Will yelling. I see Casey bite her lip, close her eyes and turn away. I place my hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you..."

"You're welcome... It's gonna be ok."

Casey, Lucas and I sit down on the floor. She still looks uneasy. She doesn't like this at all. She closes her eyes and leans against the wall. I see her start to smile.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Just reliving a memory," she replies.

"Oooo, does that memory involve someone?"

"Shut up..."

I decide to leave her to the peace of her memory. I know it involves him. I only see her smile like that when it does. I turn to Lucas, who looks slightly nervous.