Chapter 15

Susan's POV

"Where are they?!" I hear Neil snap. "Billy should have brought her back by now! I'm sure he got distracted by some girl! When gets back I swear-"

He's interrupted by the sound of Billy's car pulling up. He storms to the door and slams it open. I watch as my stepson, daughter and another girl I don't recognize get out of the car.

"Well, well, well," Neil starts. "And where have you been? Caught up with some chick I see... after you lose your sister."

"Sir," the girl says. "That was actually my fault."

"Excuse me?"
"Yes. I'm sorry. I came by earlier today rather at the last minute and picked up Max without letting Billy know. We went to the Byers' house and met up with the AV club. We were there longer than expected. I apologize."

"No. No. It's fine... Billy... should have been paying more attention. I can't help that my son is a-"

"Sir," I actually hear her raise her voice a little at him. She begins walking closer to him.

"Yes?" Neil asks shocked.

"You should know that your son is an amazing person," she snaps at him emphasizing the word "amazing." "He is loving and caring and sure, rough around the edges, but that's what makes him so great. It's what makes Billy Hargrove, well... Billy Hargrove. It's what makes him unique, and you know what, that's why I love him! He is easily one of the best people I know. You don't exactly care, but you should at least know."

Neil just stares at her for a moment. He doesn't even know what to say. He is so taken aback. He just marches back into the house.

"Wow," I say. "No one... has ever done that."

"What?" she asks me.

"Stood up to him like that."

"Well, I wasn't gonna let him talk to my boyfriend like that," she states smiling back at Billy. He smiles back at her.

"I'm Susan," I introduce myself extending my hand to her.

"Casey," she says shaking my hand.

Max and I walk inside as she walks over to Billy. I see Max wink at them as we walk through the door. I peak out the window to see them on the porch. Billy has his arms around her waist, and Casey has her arms around his neck. I see him peck her on the lips. I smile and turn back to Max. Soon after, Billy comes almost skipping through the door. Max is trying not to burst out laughing.

"They're so perfect for each other," she tells me.

"I can see that," I say. "She's a bit of a spitfire, isn't she?"

"Absolutely."

"I actually really like this Casey."

"She's awesome."

"Wait... is she the girl I saw Billy carrying in on Halloween?"

"Yes... she ran into some trouble at a Halloween party. Billy got her out of there. Being honest, I originally thought it was something else... but she's completely different than any other girl I've seen him with."

"I can see that."

Max and I begin laughing. I can't remember the last time we smiled and laughed this much. This girl hasn't just changed Billy. I think she's changed all of us. She's done something I never thought possible.

She is over at the house several times over the next month. I'm always very pleased to see her. She, Billy and Max will sit in the living room. I've never seen my daughter and stepson act this way towards each other. They're actually starting to act like friends.