Chapter 8

Seven's POV

"Casey!" I hear Max exclaim in a whisper.

School hasn't started yet. She has come up to the high school from the middle school. She motions for me to come over to her. I walk over to her and sit down beside her.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" She asks.

"Sure," I tell her.

"I'm sorry for what I told you yesterday."

"Why?"

"Because I learned that I had it all wrong."

"Huh?"

"I was wrong about Billy..."

"Does it matter now?"

"What do you mean..."

"I'm pretty sure he hates me now."

"Casey, there is nothing on this earth that could make him hate you."

She looks up at me with confused eyes. Her blue eyes look so sad. I've never seen this look in her eyes. They look so lifeless that I swear they've changed colors from a blue to a dull, lifeless grey... like that of a gloomy stormcloud. She's more than hurt... She's heartbroken...

"Casey... he was never playing you. Maybe at the very, very start, but I doubt he was even then. I've never seen him like this ever in my life. He just... he got scared. He's not used to this. There's something special... between you and him. I can't be what destroys that..."

"Used to what?"

"Huh?"

"You said 'he's not used to this.' What is he not used to?"

"Someone caring..."

I look at her confused for a moment. I don't quite understand what she means. What is she talking about? She sees the confusion in my eyes.

"He hasn't told you?" She asks.

"Told me what?"

"About his dad..."

"Explain..."

Billy's POV

I run around sad, little Harrington and grab the pass before he can snag it. I dribble as he shuffles around in front of me. This feels so good. He looks so helpless... and these boys have actually decided to play somewhat rough today... just what I needed.

"All right! All right! All right!" I exclaim taunting him. "King Steve. King Steve, everyone," I then focus on him. "I like it. Playing tough today."

"Gracious!" He shouts. "Do you ever stop talking? Come on!"

"What? Afraid the coach is gonna bench you now that I'm here? Huh?"

I rush at him as he continues to dance around. I knock him to the ground. I take the ball to the basket to score a layup.

I walk back over to Steve, who is still in the ground, and take his hand.

"You were moving your feet," I tell him. "Plant then next time. Draw a charge."

I then release his hand letting him fall back to the floor again. As I do, we start to hear shouting coming from right outside the gym. At first, I can't make out the voices yelling until they start getting closer.

"And why exactly would I do that?!" One of the players yells.

"Five minutes! I just need five freaking minutes!" I hear a girl's voice scream.