Chapter 3

June 22, 2010

There should have been nothing wrong with the specimen. The ratings read that the Project was fine. So what happened?

That's not important. Time for this specimen was running out. Project Sonic had one more day to wake up, or else he will be scrapped.

Shadow visited as often as he could, making sure that other scientists don't know, and don't stop him. He was trying to figure out ways to save this beautiful specimen from 'dying' as he put it.

Emerson tried to help as well, but with so little information on the problem aside from a releasing mistake, there was nothing he could do.

Shadow spent that day watching or trying to release the specimen (with no such luck).

--------

June 23, 2010

Shadow returned the next day. He didn't know what to expect when he typed in that same password.

μ±·›«‡‽ⁿ∅¶

He didn't believe anything would happen, so he made himself as comfortable as he could on a metal seat nearby.

A sound came from the Stability Tube. One he hadn't heard before. It sounded like a door opening. Shadow looked at the top of the Tube, and found that it had opened.

The ebony hedgehog shot out of his seat and ran to the intercom located in the room, one that Emerson had showed him. He typed in Emerson's ID number, waiting impatiently for a response.

"Hello? What's going on?" came the reply after a few minutes.

"Dr. Emerson," Shadow said.

"Shadow? What happened? Is something wrong with the Project?" the scientists asked, sounding worried but also excited.

"I managed to get the Stability Tube to open. We should get the other scientists here," replied Shadow.

"Alright, we'll be there soon," and like that, Emerson shut off the call. The four scientists working came in, as well as the young scientist from before.

Geisha, Gladden and Eason all ran up the stairs to the platform while Emerson, the scientist and Shadow watched. The carefully carried the specimen out and took his to a room adjacent to the Lab.

"Shadow, you and Dr. Osheaga wait here while I go do a check on the specimen. Since he will be sharing your Habitation Room, Shadow, you will have to take him there," said Emerson briskly as he began walking away. Osheaga and Shadow stood in silence for the time being until Osheaga was called from another Lab, leaving Shadow in the empty Lab.

Shadow then decided to wait next to the intercom until Emerson called for him. It didn't take much longer until he did.

Shadow entered and the Project was on the Examination Lab table. They both looked at each other and Emerson smiled.

"Sonic, this is Shadow the Hedgehog. You'll be sharing a Habitation Room." Sonic gave the ebony hedgehog a crooked smile, which the other awkwardly returned. "Shadow," began Emerson. "Where is Osheaga?"

"He got called down to another Lab," I replied. Emerson nodded.

"Alright. Take this specimen to the Habitation Room, please." Shadow obliged, leading the blue hedgehog down several corridors, both of them in silence.

"How… how long ago have you been… active here?" Sonic asked. He sounded a bit timid and wary.

"About five days," Shadow replied.

That was the closest to a conversation they got that day.