Chapter 11

Sonic sat there, frozen in fear. How had Emerson entered so quietly without either of them noticing? At that moment, the blue hedgehog felt smaller than he actually was. Shadow just stared at Emerson, his face unreadable. All the while, Emerson glared at them, as if waiting—or daring— them to move or speak.

Shadow stood up.

"Doctor Emerson," he began cautiously. Emerson growled like an animal.

"Be quiet, you rat!" the doctor snarled. "I should have known that you would both end up as mistakes. I should have scrapped you when I had the chance..." Sonic's eyes widened. Emerson took a step towards them and the two hedgehogs back up until their backs were against the wall behind them. Sonic jumped down from his bed, hoping to find a way to diffuse the situation.

"Emerson..." Sonic began quietly. Emerson turned to glare at him and the hedgehog had to force himself not to flinch. "Look at yourself. You're an animal!" Emerson gave a dry and hollow laugh.

"Much like yourselves, eh?" The doctor smirked. Then, he lunged forward and grabbed a hold of their arms. "Now, be good specimen and follow me." As if they had much of a choice. The doctor's grip was tight, ensuring no escape. Neither dared to try and fight him off, they know that whatever was coming next couldn't possibly be worse than a bullet to the head.

Emerson took them deep into the ARK, an area where neither of the two hedgehogs had travelled to. It led to a dark hallway with rooms lining either wall. The hedgehogs held their breaths. Emerson forcefully opened a door, quite skillfully, with his leg whilst still holding onto the two hedgehogs.

Once the door was open, Emerson threw them in with force, knocking the wind out of them as they collided with the wall. Snarling, the doctor closed and secured the door.

"You won't leave, and you will never find the answers to anything..." Then, he turned and stalked away, leaving the two hedgehogs in a dark room.

"Damn it..." Shadow muttered as he stood up, catching his breath. Sonic followed suit.

"Now what?" the younger one asked. Shadow looked at him.

"We find a way to escape this place," the ebony hedgehog replied. "Both this cell and the ARK. With the picture." Sonic nodded. Then, both hedgehogs jumped as they heard a cough in the cell to their right. Sonic crawled up to the door and listened.

"H-hello? Is there someone there?" There was a pause before a familiar, old voice replied.

"Sonic? Shadow? Oh, thank goodness... I thought I was alone here..." Sonic and Shadow's eyes widened and they both yelled in unison.

"Doctor Henderson?!"