Chapter 9

Late and possibly short??? I'm so sorry for this! I hate doing this to you all, but honestly? My brain moved faster than my hands. Once I get to the story, poof! The idea is gone. But, hey, I got a chapter done for you all! Enjoy!

-------------------------

"Shadow!" Shadow flinched when he heard someone call his name from down the hall. Sonic turned to look at him with wide eyes. Even he could tell that this wouldn't be good. Shadow sighed and stood up as Sonic gave him a small salute, presumably to try and get Shadow's spirits up even just a little bit. Shadow merely roles his eyes silently before turning and briskly walking away and to where he assumed the person was.

As he walked down the hall, Shadow spotted Dr. Emerson standing and seemingly waiting for the hedgehog in one of the the labs. Shadow walked up to him and tried to examine his face. But the doctor's face was unreadable, and that's what made Shadow uneasy, although he would never admit it... not out loud, at least.

"You needed me?" Shadow asked as he approached. Emerson looked at him and nodded slowly.

"Yes. I wanted to ask you... Where did you find this?" Shadow's breath hitched as Emerson pulled out the picture he and Sonic had found it the cabin about a week or so ago. The doctor had to have gone through their Habitation Room with purpose to find something. Shadow paused, trying to think of a lie. It wasn't in his creation file to do so, but he didn't want to rat himself nor Sonic out. Shadow cleared his throat.

"We found it in the forest." Not a complete lie, but not the full truth either. Emerson narrowed his eye's at the ebony hedgehog, but he knew that he wouldn't get anymore out of the specimen. He sighed and nodded, not pushing it further but a strange glint appeared in his eye. Shadow knew he needed to speak to Sonic about this before Emerson did.

"Alright. Thank you, Shadow. You may return to your previous activities," mumbled Emerson as he turned away. Shadow have a brief nod before trying to subtly speedwalk away from the man.

Reaching the computer lab where Shadow had left Sonic, the older hedgehog was almost surprised to see said hedgehog making some kind of examination. Sonic looked up when he heard Shadow's air shoes but the metallic flooring. Sonic gave him a small smile.

"Glad to see you're still alive," he said and turned back to what he was doing. "Was it anything impotant?" Shadow sighed before speaking in a low voice.

"He asked me about the picture from the cabin." Shadow turned his gaze to Sonic's hands, keeping himself busy as he spoke by watching the younger hedgehog work. "He had the picture."

Shadow could almost feel when Sonic snapped his head to stare at him in shock.

"W-what...?" he whispered. Shadow nodded slowly before turning back to look at the blue hedgehog.

"Yeah. If he asks you, just say that we found it out in the forest and took it back with us to find some kind of information about it. Do not mention the cabin," Shadow instructed. Sonic nodded.

"Sonic!"

Both hedgehogs exchanged a glance before Sonic slowly turned and walked out of the room.