Chapter 5: Finally, I'm Manipulating Mana!

It's been about a month since Helen came home along with the incidents that followed her arrival. The hectic times have passed and now I'm basically at peace.

My sisters and I have each settled our differences. After the burglar break-in incident, a lot has changed at home. Helen and Carmine still argue sometimes, but they don't fight against me, rather it would be safe to say that they fight over me.

Helen insists that I should train with her. While Carmine becomes teary eyed and begs me to play with her... like a puppy. They bicker with each other and challenge each other to new games. Whoever wins, gets to spend time with me.

Even though I do get annoyed at times, I act cute, 'cause this is much better than how they were previously like...

On the other hand, the outside door/main entrance to the house has been upgraded with a metal door which requires mana to automatically slide open and and close. It's a pain because neither me, nor Carmine can get past it without Helen's help.

A back 'wooden' door, with a double lock, had also been prepared between the backyard and the kitchen. Kinda like the houses on Earth.

I guess it is a means of escape if the situation came. Plus, the metal door had certain qualities that made it perfect for a main entrance double door. Mana implanted on the metal, lasts longer. Kind of like the length of time it takes for a warm spoon to slowly cool off. Or how long it takes to fill a big bucket with water if a single drop falls individually.

Whatever the case, the mana implanted on the door will have its essence oozing out for an amount of time before vanishing. Time limit is 15 minutes. So it's easier to identify anybody's essence. This time Helen won't have much problems.

I still remember how heavily scolded we were. Mom was furious and her lecture didn't end for half a day. Dad wasn't home, but once he got this message, he was quite upset and seriously reprimanded us for 2 whole hours, through the telephone. He was so angry with the theif that once, he left directly in the middle of the work, to the prison centre and thrashed that guy black and blue.

Speaking of which, Dad has yet to come back home this entire month... and he's gonna be back today! So, since early dawn, mom has been very busy. She is practically leaping with joy!

"Let me tell you girls the first time I encountered you father." Mom suggested as the three of us stared at her with keen eyes.

She chuckled after putting me down on the carpet in the baby room. I was able to sit down now and could crawl fast enough on top of the carpet, so she did not put me into the cradle.

Though they were happy at first that I was able to crawl, they were still worried about my speaking habits. I often heard mom speaking to my father on phone. Looks like the limit of hiding this is over...

"We were still in University at that time-" mom was interrupted by the gasps of the two girls sitting beside me. She smiled at us very reassuringly as she caressed my hair gently.

"Mom, you went to THAT University, didn't you?" Helen questioned with gleeful eyes as if she was on cloud nine.

"B.U.C.M," Mom nodded in agreement, "Board University of Central Magic, yes."

"So papa they wa gone too?" Carmine pronounced childishly.

"Affirmative," Mom replied with a wink, "The Windstorm Clan was there for security check ups and by coincidence..." Mom paused a moment and then smiled at us, "or fate, your dad was assigned to me. Each student had their own guard. This insured our safety."

Mom's face produced a speck of sadness that disappeared just as quickly as it had arrived. "The Windstorm Clan was huge. So many that apart from securing the entire University grounds, there were still enough workforce to guard an individual student's life..."