Chapter 26: Helen's Defeat

"Oh I wouldn't be so sure."

"Wha-?!"

To my surprise, a mini-quicksand formed right below Helen's foot and she began sinking. Helen let her guard down and her momentary lapse of concentration allowed her opponent to escape.

"No way..." I found myself a little shocked. "It can't be..."

"Hehehe, it took you long enough to notice." Analise snorted, "That's why I always tell you to concentrate during class, but you never listen."

I ignored her tease and concentrated on the main point, "Carmine has mastered the element?"

"Yes, and she is excellent with it. She has complete affinity with Earthern Elemental." Analise's smug face puffed up with pride.

"Com-complete afi-affinity!" Both Raven and I were baffled by the notion.

Elemental affinity is basically the synchronicity one has with their respective element(s). The more affinity you have, the more easier it is to nurture that element. Since the elements of this world are alive but restricted, it really depends on how much they favor you.

"What, you didn't know?" Analise questioned me, lifting her eyebrow.

"No..." I sighed.

"How can someone have an affinity of 100%?" Raven asked, her face pale, riddled with confusion.

"Well, I don't really know. Those I've talked to all say that it's probably a 'Windstorm thing'." Analise answered.

"Why would they think it's a Windstorm thing? Where is that ridiculous idea coming from?"

"It's you." Analise flatly answered, and I could tell she was pissed off. Sometimes she's really hard to understand.

"Ohhh... that makes sense." Raven agreed.

I shrugged it off. Surely it's not me.

While Helen remained focused on the quicksand, Carmine began creating small traps here and there. She sprang from one place to another. I felt sorry for Helen, but it really is her own fault for getting ahead of herself. That's the one thing an assassin shouldn't do. It's all or nothing. A stalemate usually signifies as nothing.

"I'm really impressed. I had no idea Carmine could do all that." I sighed, blaming myself for not paying enough attention.

"Well, she learned from the best." Analise's smirk grew even more.

"Don't tell me..."

"Hmm?"

I shook my head, "Nothing."

Obvious as daylight, Helen wasn't able to lift herself up. Go figure. The audience booed since neither of the two were attacking each other. I suppose a battle of strategy isn't as exciting to watch when you cannot understand it.

"Why not just attack Helen while she's down? Isn't it easier that way?" Raven seemed bored as well.

"There's no way she will ever do that. A drowning Helen is much scarier than a walking one. All of us siblings know that." I replied, calm and confident, "Helen is a strategic opponent. You will never win against her with brute force alone. But..."

"But what?"

"Nothing works on her twice. If she can figure out before being unable to continue, then those little traps Carmine is setting up now, will return to dust."

"What are you suggesting? You implying Carmine is stu-"

"That's not what I meant, Ana. Don't get so riled up." I sighed, then glanced back to the stage, "Oh, seems like time's almost up. Helen is on the move."