Chapter 23: A New Rival?

The whistle sounded the end of gym class for the day. As usual, I could still feel Mr. Gragg scowling at me... and like always, I sprinted away.

He seemed to have somehow been able to guess who his so-called "admirer" was. Obvious as day, he didn't appreciate the joke.

Yes, yes, I know what I did was wrong... perhaps, but he's still unfair to the girls. Some (mainly me) more than others.

Although Analise and Olivia decided to apologize to him directly, both Lucy and I shared the same thought.

The only thing likeable about Mr. Gragg was that his somewhat one-sided mentality would often clash with Secretary Jo Lin. I'll be honest, but over the past few days, Jo Lin's crush has faded to transform into despair whenever the two met.

The sweetness of two people you abhor, hating each other while you sat on the sidelines is... magical.

However, I reckon they will love it once exams begin. First of all, there's no telling if the principal will actually help me this time with my mana test. Ever since that little allergy incident, I wasn't allowed to visit her, not even through the secret passages.

Secondly, despite being agile and having good reflexes, I suck at sports. I have no stamina and I've gotten exhausted multiple times a day. Moreover, I do not get any aid from my gym teacher, and my fallen reputation has been going down the drain even more!

All this suffering just because I had to be born a stupid girl! (A/N: Hey, that's offensive. 😤)

"I'm a walking disaster!" I groaned.

"Right you are." Lucy agreed.

"Thanks a lot." I muttered.

"Your welcome." She chuckled mischievously and after a brief pause, continued, "You know, I heard that the principal loves your secret recipe of making ice tea... not to mention there's a bake-off competition just before the exams begin..."

"So? It's a bake off. I make terrible cakes, remember? I burst that thermal-thingy last year." I sighed.

"Yeah, to be fair you did... and I loved it." Lucy's eyes began shimmering again, "Who knows what disasters you'll cause when you grow up... I can't wait!"

"Right... may be you should take a break from reading all those books, a little." I backed away slightly, "And while you're at it, tone down on the sugar? It's good for your health."

"..."

"What?" I pretended, "I'm just saying."

I couldn't look her in the eye. By instinct, I could feel that if I had to call her crazy anytime... that time, was not now.

"What Lu-lu is trying to say is that you should form a team with me!" Analise popped up.

"Ugh! I've told you a million times not to call me that!" Lucy bursted.

"But it's so cute! And it's not like I've ever stopped you from calling me Ana. Go on, give it a try." Analise commented, ignoring Lucy's annoyed and grumpy face.

"A team..." I mumbled.

"Yeah! I heard that last year they changed some rules and this year, everyone is allowed to enter! Other than the 1st years of course." Ana's face dazzled even brighter while she went on yapping.

"Is that even allowed?" I asked, curious.

"Of course!" Ana replied.

"But, you'll be needing a few more members. Before you say anything more, I'm not participating."