Chapter 8: My Incomplete Family...

I was cosplaying as a princess with frilly pink ribbons... every girl's dream.

So damn annoying!

Fred was drastically clicking photos of me through that out-of date-and-style-camera. Shameless big brother!

Helen barfed the moment she saw me like this... she even gave a thumbs up, despite her lack of interest in the dress itself.

Carmine was wide eyed and jealous of my beautiful dress in comparison to her bumpkin one. Her eyes were sparking with envy.

"Fred, it's almost sunset, hurry it up!" mom shouted, nervously.

"My dearest sweet little strawberry," Fred announced, as he bowed like a fairytale prince charming, gazing up on me, "have you waited long," he paused and smirked cunningly, "M'lady?"

Fume burst out my forehead. Other girls were embarrassed. Helen was disgusted. I was furious!

If not for the crowd, I'd have blasted this guy off to the furthest moon!

Mom waved her hands upwards, as if pointing to the sky and Fred stood up. He looked like he was so happy for me. Sobbing quietly.

"To you," mom smiled as she happily said these words, "big brother."

She gave me to Fred and he accepted.

"Thank you..." he confidently exclaimed as his voice echoed throughout the entire house. I felt a shiver.

It was my very first birthday bash. There were family members and neighbors all around. Even some adventurers I never encountered. Sadly, they left as soon as they arrived, gloom haunting their faces. A heartbeat reminded me that they weren't here for the party...

Apparantly, Fred was the schemer behind my huge surprise of a birthday...! He remembered even in this world, exactly as he once had, in the previous world as J.

Back then, it was just the two of us in the school rooftop during lunch break, a store bought chocolate crusted cupcake and a single half-melted candle stick. All he managed to gift me was a fancy looking cowboy jacket. Tacky as usual.

Always grinning foolishly. A brilliant comrade. An honorable brother. The worst enemy.

That was who J was... ... is.

As I sat on the velvet soft pillow, staring at the overcasted shadow of my big brother, his eyes twinkled evidently. Almost excited. Almost frightened. Almost.

Fred wore that ridiculously humungous costume of a king. The brave leader. I heard him breathing heavily. He sighed and mumbled something and then he sighed again. Was he depressed? I wasn't able to capture his face. Still, gloomed with shadow.

In the spur of the moment, he stood up, grabbed hold of the blood red pillow and swirled hurriedly, back towards the crowd. The dazzlingly bright horde of people snickered and giggled. Briefly, there was a pause and then they burst out laughing.

"...oh my, aren't you nervous, Fred?..."

"You're blushing! Well, well..."

"...Brace yourself, lad! It's her life!..."

They were pinned at my direction, chattering away, while Fred stoned himself like a statue.

Two kids, I hadn't noticed earlier, popped up beside Carmine. The boy was cool and quiet. The girl giggled a little and whispered something to Carmine. Some heated conversation began between them.

The boy, who noticed my straight forward gaze, came towards me. He bowed.

Fred was still unable to hitch-hike a ride back to reality.