22

Family ties are precious threads,
No matter where we roam.
They draw us close to those we love,
And pull our hearts toward home.

-anonymous

It was in the middle of summer, when the seasons found themselves in Alabasta, the desert kingdom. They had heard of the rebellion brewing against the royal family and wanted to solve the problem discreetly.

Climbing down from their ship, which they had been jumping from island to island with, after quickly folding the sails, they dropped the anchor into the sea, and breathed in the dry salty air.

Looking around the entrance to Nanohana: Alabasta's port town, Natsuki shielded her eyes against the glaring sun. The place reminding her of the wind kingdom in the elemental nations, and of Gaara. She smiled at the memory of a boy who vaguely understood what 'he' as Naruto went through at the time.

"Natsu? What are we going to do first?"

"Can't we have fun once in a while? I want to eat!"

"Me too!"

"Me three!" They hit Haruki on the head, because of a certain argument they had a few days before, something along the lines of Aki yelling, "TOO DOESN'T MEAN TWO! STOP YELLING ME THREE!" but that's a story for another day.

"We don't need to start another argument. Where do you want to go?"

"Can we eat, please? You know who would have to cook if we don't eat out." Uki groaned, pointing at Kanki.

"Excuse you! I make delicious toast!"

"Anyone can make toast. It's TOAST! You toast the bread, and it's done!" She argued back.

"Says the person who over boiled the egg."

"ONE TIME!"

"We get it! Calm down! Geez!"

"Shall we just randomly go to town and look for a restaurant?"

"Why not?" So the six of them just walked around, sometimes popping into stores, buying things they wanted, giving extra tips to shops going poor, in necessary cases.

They arrived at a restaurant named the 'Spice Bean' and sat by the bar. Natsuki smiled when she saw her spaghetti meatballs arrive, blanching when Fuyuki's fried octopus arrived with a bowl of rice. Uki got a club sandwich, and Kanki got a steak. Aki ordered salad along with a kebab, and Haruki got his banana split. They were all eating peacefully, when Natsuki turned around abruptly.

She looked at the entrance, where a man half naked, wearing an orange hat, and a red beaded necklace appeared. There was a massive tattoo of a jolly roger on his back, and another smaller tattoo on his left arm. With the letters, ASCE on it. He sat down next to Natsuki and ordered as much food on the menu as possible, then began to eat.

All the while, Natsuki just stared at him, catching the attention of Fuyuki, then gradually the rest of her crew.

He suddenly fell face first into his food.

She continued to stare.

"Is he alright?"

"Someone's died!"

"He just, dropped dead..."

"You think it's a Desert Strawberry?"

"Yeah, it's got to be..."

"When you get bit by one of those, several hours after the death, the poison spreads throughout the victim's body, so no one wants to get near him."