Chapter XIV "You Are Mine"

The forest ground underneath my bare feet felt non-existent. I should feel the dampness of the soil at the soles of my feet. The smells of moist dirt, leaves, trees were not reaching my nose. I felt my heartbeat slow down as I take a step forward, towards the center of this perfect circle clearing. I looked up and saw a clear night sky—no stars... just a full moon. My mind felt clear, and yet there's something that left me yearning.

Then it hit me, the mint chocolate aroma that engulfed me. My nostrils flare as I take in the scent, and I turned around. Behind me, on the edge of the clearing, I see him walking towards me. His perfect forest green eyes locking with my bi-color gaze. I feel my breath stuck in my chest as I see him. Wearing only torn jeans, exposed to me.

I didn't let his guilty look register to me. I ran across the clearing. Ignoring the fact that I couldn't feel the grass.

I needed him.

When I reach him, my arms automatically wrap around his neck. Jumping into his arms as I felt this overwhelming pain just engulf me. I breathed in his mint-chocolate scent, and I let out this choked-up cry. My arms clinging onto him, clinging onto my own lifeline. I didn't care that no matter how much I hold him... I couldn't feel his warmth. I couldn't sense his skin.

Only his scent.

"Kole." I breathed, trying to cry and breathe at the same time and failing miserably.

"Dom-" His voice broke for a moment, then I feel him hold me back. Tucking his face in my hair, breathing me while we both processed what was happening. It was a moment in heaven. A moment where I wanted to believe that it was all a nightmare. A twisted dream where Kole was ripped away from me.

"I'm so so sorry, Kole. I left you." I couldn't even muster a normal voice with how big the knot in my throat was. The harshness of breathing and crying made it hard to understand what I was saying.

"Dom, you did nothing wrong." His honey, soft voice coated my ears when he pulled away. He gently pulls the sleeve of my shoulder down, and there it was. The gnarly scar that formed from his attack... he attacked me.

That did happen. And I could see it in his hazel eyes, his soul breaking, and it hurt me. I couldn't breathe, seeing him hate himself as his hands tried to touch my shoulder but... I could not feel him. I couldn't feel his warmth. But I could see his fingers shaking; part of me wished that he never see this scar. That he wouldn't be able to touch this wounded flesh of mine.

"You didn't do anything wrong either, Kole. I know with every fiber of my body that you fought against his words." I tell him. My hands trying to touch him, trying to have him look at my eyes. That I knew we'd never hurt each other like this

"But I still hurt you, Dom, and now-" He pulls away from me, and I could feel my own whimper die in my throat. He turns his back on me, and he doesn't move for a moment.

"I don't think I'll be able to see you again without attacking you again." He finishes his sentence, but I refused to listen to those words

"I'm training Kole. Just because you can't break away from this stupid lycan roar, that doesn't mean that I'm useless." I tell him, even if his shoulders looked slack, I wasn't giving up. I fought the urge to go and grab him because I knew that I wouldn't be able to feel him. But he can hear me. And I wanted him to see that I was here.

"Don't lose hope, Kole, because I am coming to save you," I tell him, more determined than anything right now. He turns around to look at me, and I see his eyes misty with tears. He's trying to fight back.

"I vowed to never hurt you, Dom. And yet, here we are. Unable to feel each other. Unable to be in the same grass. I don't need you to save me." His muscles seemed to tense, almost like he was fighting the urge to reach to me. His words were trying to tell me to stay away, and yet his body language was craving me.

"Stay the hell away from me." His hazel eyes glowed their honey-colored while mine glowed their own bicolor. I shake my head, and I take a step towards him.

"That's not happening, Kole. You're my mate." I tell him my words were probably the only thing that was not shaking in me. I let my hand reach out and just gently hover over his chest. Even if I couldn't feel the beating of his heart. The warmth of his skin. My soul felt all of him.

"You. Are. Mine." I said, my eyes glowing with his. The knot in my throat was present, but it was not a sign of panic. I let my hovered hand rest on his chest, and I did not break eye contact with him.

"He will not have you. So as my mate, you need to fight." His eyes held mine when his body leaned towards me. His hands resting on my hips when he leans in and presses his forehead against mine. The absence of his body heat did not matter because I could feel him. Feel his soul next to mine.

"The last thing I want is to hurt you, Dom." He whispers to me, his voice almost wrapping me with security.

"This won't break us, Kole," I whispered back, closing my eyes as I placed both hands on his chest. Taking in the remainder of his mint chocolate scent. There was a moment of silence between us. It felt more than minutes as we both savored this space between us.

"Don't come after me." He pleads with me one last time, and I scoffed.

"Since when have I listened to you," I murmured softly. Our lips found each other, and we kissed. I missed the feeling of him, but the kiss still gave me a sense of strength and reassurance.

He is mine.

And I am his.