D-Day

present day.

   It was about noon on D-Day. With each passing minute, I was becoming more and more anxious. I eventually tell myself I need to calm down and I find a spot under a tree to sit down, sliding down the trunk until I come in contact with the ground, and I close my eyes and focus on my breathing.

   With shaky hands, I move my hair out of my face and lean my head backwards against the tree, placing my hands on my knees. Movement in front of me causes me to open my eyes and I look up to see Chan squatting in front of me. He gives a soft smile and takes one of my hands in his, intertwining our fingers.

   He slowly stands up, pulling me up with him. He tightens his grip ever so slightly on my hand and starts taking small steps, "Let's take a walk to clear our minds, yeah?" I nod and walk beside him, staring at our interlocked hands with a tiny grin.

   His thumb rubs slow, smooth circles across my own as we walk which causes butterflies in my stomach. He exhales quietly and I turn to look up at him, "Is something wrong? Well, I get the whole 'zombie' thing, but other than that?"

   He chuckles and shakes his head, staring straight on, "Nope, I'm perfectly happy at the moment." He looks down at me with a smile and squeezes my hand. I break out into my own grin and begin swinging our arms back and forth, skipping the tiniest bit.

   "Wow, what happened to our tough and hardcore Rowan? You're starting to act like Changbin," Chan laughs while watching me. I immediately stop dead in my tracks and look down at our hands, quickly unraveling our fingers and dropping my hand to my side.

   "Oh, uhh. She's right here," I stare at him with a frown.

   "Whatever you say babygirl," He taunts.

   My face flushes but I try my best to conceal it, "Shut up blondie."

   He explodes in laughter, holding his stomach while bending over. I glare at him and roll my eyes, walking back to the group. He attempts at calming himself down while jogging up to me, "Yo, wait Ro," he calls and reaches out to grab my hand again. He moves it to where they're both positioned comfortably, "Perfect," he sighs.

   I take my free hand and flick him on the forehead, "You're an idiot."

   He gives me a boyish grin, "But I'm your idiot."

   Face hot and heart racing, I answer, "Yes, you're my idiot, Chan."

   As we get closer to where our team was huddled, I remove my hand from Chan's and stick it in my hoodie pocket. He seems a bit surprised at the fact he was still holding onto my hand and apologizes quietly, but I just smiled in return.

   No one seems to have noticed our skin-ship, which was relieving, and I made my way to my backpack to make sure I have everything I need for the journey. It was only a little after 12:30 so we had plenty of time to prepare, but I wanted to be completely sure I had all my supplies.