Standing at the Devil's Door

day ten of escaping.

"No! That's a terrible team name," Minho complains.

"It's better than your idea, Mr. 'how about Dead Teenagers'," Jisung fires back.

"I personally like 'Zombie Slayers'," Hyunjin chimes in.

"See? Someone agrees with me," Jisung huffs.

Seungmin adds on, "But they're not zombies. And we haven't really killed many; we're running for our lives from them."

"Ghost Busters!" Felix cheers.

Woojin laughs, "But they're not ghosts either."

Jeongin offers, "Monster Hunters?"

"Shadow Boxers," Changbin chimes in.

"I have an idea!" I suddenly raise my voice. All heads turn to look at me and I grin, "How about 'Lost Kids'?" It takes everyone a second to process the name, some agreeing, some on the fence about it.

"Stray Kids."

We all look at Chan who had just blurted out the name. It was perfect. Everyone silently agreed on the name; it felt fitting.

Present Day - 7 hours later (roughly 7:30 P.M.)

"Alright Stray Kids! It's about dusk. We'll start making our way to the tunnel and head inside the gates of Barebrook. Everyone remembers the plan, right? Any questions?" Nobody moves a muscle, everyone all too aware of what we're about to do.

"Okay," Chan takes a deep breath, "Let's go."

Our group slowly makes our way to the spot Chan and Seungmin found. Sure enough, when we arrived, there was a very realistic strip of grass laying across the entrance to a dark tunnel. Chan removed it and had climbed down the ladder first, making sure the coast was clear for all of us before we headed down as well.

When we got far enough down into the tunnel, Chan turned on his flashlight which made it a thousand times easier to see. Small water puddles splashed when stepped in and a few mice scurried by when frightened, but neither one of those frightened me. The thing that frightened me was with each progressing step, I either became closer and closer to death or to victory; both were unsettling to think about.

"Okay guys, I'm gonna head up the ladder first when we get there. Jisung, Hyunjin, and Woojin, you guys get behind me. If any guards spot us and try attacking us, you guys will stab them to avoid luring more attention towards us with the sounds of gunshots. I'll lead the rest of you all inside the facility the best I can," Chan speaks at the front of the group.

"Wait," Changbin calls, "Since I was put into a place like this before, I think I'll know the layout better. How about I go first?"

We all look at each other and nod, agreeing on his decision. He then goes to the front of the group with the three members, not including Chan, with some sort of knife behind him, Felix and Jeongin after, then lastly Minho, me, and Seungmin at the back. Chan decided to be dead last in case anyone was following us.

Chan turned off his flashlight as we got to the end of the tunnel and continued walking behind us. Before we headed up the ladder, I took a deep breath to calm my nerves, clearly frightened about what was to come. A warm hand slid into mine and gave it a soft squeeze, reassuring me that everything was going to be okay. And I believed those words.

This ladder is about to take me inside the Gates of Hell, but I'm prepared for the worst. Bring it on, Lucifer. I'm ready to ride this Hellevator.