Chapter Three: The Gap

The next two weeks practically fly by. You did end up finding the HR trailer that first day after asking three different people where it was. You filled out what seemed like an ungodly amount of paperwork, discussed salary and benefits, and walked back to the B&B stunned that this was actually happening. You had filled Lisa in on all the pertinent details as she beamed at you from the sofa in the living room of the B&B. You still didn't know what you were going to do about your current living situation, or lack thereof, when Julia happened to walk by and hear what you were talking about with Lisa. She promptly offered you a room in the B&B without giving it a second thought, only asking that you provide your own meals and clean up after yourself. You of course told her you couldn't possibly impose on her like that without paying her something, but in true old-fashioned English hospitality, she had insisted and you had graciously accepted.

You took a cab with Lisa to the airport the next day, cried and hugged her as you said your goodbyes, and then rode back to the B&B feeling lonelier than ever and wondering if you'd made a huge mistake.

Lizzie had emailed your schedule for the next few weeks, and you had gone to the studio dutifully every day except for Sundays, sometimes pulling 10 hour days. 

Now here you are, working on what must one of a hundred extras on this set. The past two weeks have been a blur of costume fittings for the actors, make-up tests, test shots and run-throughs. You have already met almost all the other lead actors, among a few others. Richard who is impossibly attractive, Jamie who is always cracking jokes, and Bryce who is the biggest sweetheart you've met. You haven't really worked much on them, just a few touch ups here and there. You have barely even caught a glimpse of Taron the entire time, he is always so busy. You sometimes notice him from across the set talking to Dex, or see him 100 feet away getting his own make-up done with people buzzing all around him, or occasionally at the craft services table grabbing a snack. But you are so busy yourself, you almost don't even notice that you hardly ever see him. Almost.

Now, as you're working on one of those hundred extras used in a big song and dance number they are about to run, you think back to that first (and only) conversation you had with Taron. You smile a little to yourself as you are applying contour to the pretty young woman sitting before you.

"Penny for your thoughts?" she says bringing you back to the present. You think her name is Katherine, but honestly, you're not quite sure.

"Oh, nothing. Just remembering a funny conversation I had with someone awhile back." you say shrugging it off.

"Do tell!" (Katherine) says.

"Oh, it was a "you kinda had to be there" situation", you reply not really wanting to engage any further. You just want to be done with her so you can visit the restroom and grab some water before you are called on set to do touch ups again. She just shrugs, but soon after, all the extras are called on set so she jumps up and is gone in a matter of seconds. You sigh, and then set your tools down, check to see if you are needed, then head in the direction of the main make-up trailer. The make-up area for these big scenes has been re-located to a large tent outside of the filming area so you have to walk quite a ways away to reach the trailer. You pass by Taron's trailer on your way, noticing the white plastic sign attached to the door with his name printed in black. You glance up at the door wondering if he might be in there, and then decide that of course he isn't. He's back on set probably running through the scene. Why are you so concerned with his whereabouts anyway? You dismiss this question and continue on your journey.

You are so ready for this stage of the process to be done. You and everyone else on set are anxious for filming to begin so everything will just be figured out already and not such trial and error all the time. You finally reach the make-up trailer and wonder how many steps you must be racking up on this set. You enter the empty trailer, visit the restroom, get some water from a nearby cooler, then go to retrieve your phone from your purse that you keep locked up here. You check your email and see that next week's schedule has been sent to you and that, hallelujah, they are going to begin filming next week! You decide to take a moment to check a few more emails and texts, and see that you have one from Lisa. This makes you happy and sad at the same time. Especially when she ends the text with how much she misses you, and a bunch of crying and heart emojis. You are feeling the familiar tug of homesickness when the door suddenly opens behind you and you practically choke on the water you are sipping. You turn on your heel, phone in hand to see Taron standing there and you quickly wipe your mouth. He looks like what you would consider to be a young Elvis or James Dean, with rolled up jeans, a red button up shirt and dark jacket. His hair has been dyed red and he's wearing black rimmed glasses. You've seen him wearing this from across the set numerous times, but this is the first time up close.