Chapter Twenty: The Homecoming

The next couple of days pass by in a blur. You go to work, go through the motions of getting Richard ready for his scenes, then go home tired and emotionless at the end of each day. You don't talk to anyone, other than what is required for your job, and you keep your head down. You definitely don't talk to Taron, and you always make sure to go in the other direction whenever you seem him coming. You wouldn't even describe yourself as depressed, you are just... numb. Richard tries to engage in conversation with you, even brings up Taron once asking if the two of you had talked. You had completely dismissed him and asked him to please not mention Taron to you again, and he hasn't. Olivia seems smug as ever, apparently thrilled at the fact that you and Taron aren't speaking, although maybe that's just in your head. After the end of the two days, you find out that Richard is off for the next few days which means, so are you. Not wanting to spend the time off laying in bed all day again, you impulsively decide that this would be a good time to head home for a bit. So after clearing it with the studio; you grab a last minute fare to LAX, pack a large overnight bag, say goodbye to Julia and call for a taxi early Thursday morning.

Once settled on the airplane; you put on your face mask, turn out the overhead light, and sleep almost the entire twelve hour flight to L.A., only waking to use the restroom and nibble on some pretzels. You do however have several bloody marys during your few waking hours. You're thankful that you've never had a problem sleeping on a flight since you so obviously need the rest. However, it hasn't given you a chance to think about what your homecoming might bring, and who you might happen to encounter while there. 

Without going into much detail, you had explained to your mom on the phone when you told her you'd be coming home for a few days, that you wouldn't be going back to your apartment and asked if you could stay at her house; which of course she had agreed to happily. Even with the fair amount of sleep, you are still groggy as you meet your mom outside the busy airport in the bright and sunny early afternoon. You've missed the sun, although England does hold it's own significant charms. She squeals with delight at seeing you, and pulls you in for a bone-crushing hug.

"Hi baby!" She exclaims over your shoulder.

"Hi Mama", you respond blandly. She pulls back to look you in the eyes and her face falls.

"What's wrong sweetie?" She asks eyes full of concern.

"Nothing", you lie. "Just tired. Long flight", you say reassuring her. She takes your bag from your shoulder and guides you to the waiting car parked by the curb.

"Well let's get you home", she says in her motherly voice. "Nothing a little home-cooking and your own bed can't fix."

If only it were that easy, you think to yourself as you settle into what you now think of as the driver's side of the vehicle, and feel yourself relax slightly in the comfort her presence always brings. On the drive home, as you are staring out the window at the blue skies and palm trees swaying in the breeze, you start to wonder why you ever agreed to stay in England in the first place. You remember how scared you were at the prospect of the new job, new home, new everything; without knowing a soul. Why hadn't you just politely declined the job offer, come home and found a job here? Taron's face flashes across your vision and you immediately remember why, and then dismiss the thought just as quickly. How could you have let a flashy smile and killer wink affect such a life-changing decision? Oh well, doesn't matter now.

You thought you'd be caught up on sleep after your 30,000 foot snooze, but with the jet-lag and the overall stressed out state of your life lately, you are still exhausted by the time you reach your childhood home. So after a light lunch and a quick catching up with your mom, you head to your old bedroom, sleep another three hours; then wake to the smell of your favorite home-cooked meal, meatloaf and mashed potatoes, awaiting you. After the delicious meal with pleasant conversation with your parents, you head back to bed since it's nearing on midnight England time. Maybe you'll feel like a normal human being tomorrow, maybe not.