Chapter Twenty Nine: With or Without You

It takes you a few dazed moments to realize where you are when you wake up the next morning. Once you realize you are in Taron's bed alone, you slowly start to recall the events from the previous day. Your mind is a bit fuzzy, but it's all coming back in a deluge of memories hitting you like a freight train. The "accident", the hospital, Taron's apartment, the nightmare, his bedroom, what almost happened between the two of you... You rub your eyes with one hand and lift the injured one to survey the damage. Still bandaged, still bruised, still aching; although not as bad as yesterday. You roll over and pop open the container of pills, and swallow a couple down with the remaining water from the night before. You prop up on one elbow looking around the deserted room and wonder if Taron is up yet. Only one way to find out. Throwing back the covers, you straighten your rumpled clothing and drag your tired body out of the bed. Padding softly into the living room, you look around and are slightly confused to find it empty. Maybe he's in the bathroom. Thinking of the facilities reminds your bladder that you need to use them, so you head in that direction. Finding it empty as well, you hurriedly do your business, wash up a little, then head back out to the the main living area. You are glancing around again as if Taron will appear out of thin air, when the you hear the lock at the front door and turn in that direction. Taron comes barreling through the door with a drink carrier holding two large coffees in one hand, and what looks like a couple of plastic grocery bags in the other. You smile involuntarily as his presence brightens the room immediately.

"Good morning!" He says when he notices you standing there and kicks the door closed with his foot.

"Good morning. Need help?" You offer, seeing him do a slight juggling act with his bounty.

"Nope, go sit down. You need to rest", he instructs.

"Taron I'm fine. It's just my hand, I'm not dying", you say as you approach him. He shoots you a quick annoyed look then heads toward the kitchen.

"Not funny, and I've got it", he says as he carefully sets everything down on the kitchen counter. You are curious as to what the bags contain so you lean against the counter and peer over at them.

"Whatcha got there?" You ask.

"Well, coffee...," he says handing one over to you which you graciously accept. "And, a toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, a comb and deodorant!" He says as he pulls each item out of the bag looking very pleased with himself. You cock your eyebrow at him.

"Wait, did I agree to move in here in my sleep?" You tease.

"No...but I thought you might want to take a shower this morning and I know you guys like this girly stuff", he says attempting to explain his adorableness.

"Girly? Stuff? You mean toiletries?" You say, continuing to give him a hard time. You enjoy being like this with Taron. As if nothing strange and bizarre is going on outside your world beyond this little apartment. He looks at you like he's not sure what to say next, and you can't help but let a small smile escape your lips.

"Are you...teasing me?" He asks sarcastically.

"Maybe", you say with a coy smile and he pauses a moment before lunging at you from around the other side of the counter. You squeal and try to escape but he catches you up into his strong arms and pins you against the counter. His closeness takes you aback a little, even after what you've already been through together in his bed and various other places. Your smile disappears and you pull your arms free to wrap them around his shoulders as he nuzzles into your neck.

"Mmmmmm", he says in a muffled voice. "You smell so good...", he says, kissing you gently against your throat. You close your eyes and relax into him.

"Not likely, I could use that shower", you admit, suddenly aware that it's been over twenty four hours since you last had one. He sighs into you then reluctantly pulls away.