Chapter Twenty Three: The Storm Before the Calm

After you've given Richard the address for the B&B, and found out that he has collected your bags and they are sitting in his trunk; you curl up into the plush leather seat and rest your head against the cool glass of the window. You are hoping that the short ride to your home away from home will be in silence since the very last thing you want to do is talk about what just happened; but of course Richard brings it up just a few minutes outside the studio gate.

"Want to talk about it?" He asks hesitantly, eyes on the road. Knowing he probably won't see the subtle shake of your head, you answer quietly.

"No." He's quiet again and you think that's the last of it until he speaks once more.

"I found this in my trailer", he says, and you look over to see what he's referring to. You physically shudder when you realize he's holding up Taron's letter.

"I don't want that Richard. I know exactly what it says and frankly, I'd be fine if I never saw it again", you say shifting back into your curled up position. He doesn't respond, only pushes the letter into his jacket pocket, then returns his hand to the wheel. After a few more minutes, he clears his throat and you just know he's going to talk again about things you don't want to hear.

"Look, I know whatever happened back there probably seems bad; but I can promise you that it's not what you think. If you would just talk to him-" But you don't let him finish.

"No Richard!" You say a little louder than planned, the sound bouncing around the compact vehicle. "I am NOT talking to him. Nothing ever good comes from me talking to him. All I ever do is end up getting hurt, so I am done talking to him!" He glances over at you with pity in his eyes and it makes you cringe. How did you ever let things get this bad? An irrational thought comes to you suddenly. "I can't be here anymore", you say staring off into the distance outside the windshield. "I can't do this anymore. I'm telling Lizzie tomorrow that I have to quit. I'll just tell her that there's an emergency back home..." You are not really talking to anyone in particular. It's just a stream of consciousness coming somewhere from within your broken mess of a soul.

"No, please don't say that. Running away is not the answer", he says regarding you with a distressed look.

"Why should I stay Ricard? Tell me." Now you are actually looking for an answer from him. You can't think of any one good reason to stay, and you really need one right now to convince you otherwise.

"I just think it would be a mistake," he answers simply but it's not good enough. Coming back here was the real mistake. He continues, "Please just sleep on it ok?" He asks, but you don't answer. You rest your weary head back against the window and the rest of the drive is thankfully spent in silence.

Upon arriving at the B&B, which in a strange way is a sight for sore eyes even though this isn't your home, Richard retrieves your bags then attempts to walk you to the door.

"It's ok Rich, I've got it", you insist. Taking the bags from him, you march off in the direction of the porch.

"Hey", he calls out after you and you turn back around to face him. "Don't give up just yet", he says with a half grin and twinkle in his eye. You just stare back at him for a moment, then thank him for the lift, before turning back toward the door.

After trudging up the stairs on feet that feel like they are stuck in mud, you drop your bags on the floor and go into the bathroom. Scrubbing your face and teeth clean, you feel somewhat better but only minimally. You return to your room, close the drapes and still fully dressed, curl up into the fetal position in the center of the bed. You close your eyes and immediately drift off to sleep, not even bothering to cry anymore at this point.