Chapter Thirty One: Aberystwyth

After packing a few things, you and Taron head out bright and early the next morning. You had a pretty good night's sleep, despite the bad news you'd received from the doctor the previous day. Large coffees-to-go, a full tank of gas and nothing but alone time with Taron in front of you has you feeling pretty carefree, and it's a feeling you haven't felt in awhile so life seems good at the moment. The drive to Aber is supposed to take about four hours, so you are settled in and ready to enjoy the scenic road trip. You had offered to share the driving responsibilities with him, to which he had adamantly opposed, insisting you need to rest your hand as much as possible. So here you are; relaxed, happy and excited for a quick getaway with Taron.

Unfortunately, about thirty minutes into the drive, he brings up a touchy subject and your mood changes swiftly.

"So...", he starts slowly. "I know you don't want to talk about this so I'm going to ask once and then I'll let it go", he says while keeping his eyes on the road.

"Ok...", you say, as you prepare yourself for whatever unpleasant topic he's about to bring up.

"Have you given any thought about what the doctor said?" He asks, finally glancing over at you. You sigh heavily and set your coffee cup into the cup holder. You had given it some thought actually, it's just probably not what he wants to hear.

"Yes, I have", you reply simply.

"And?" He asks.

"I think resting it during this trip will be really good for me. It's already hurting less and I think by the time we get back, I'll be fine to finish up the rest of the shoot", you say confidently.

"Hmmm", is his only reply before taking a long pause. "You don't think maybe, you should just take a break? I'm sure there's something else you can do on set-"

"No", you say a little too firmly. Then softening your tone, "I really think it will be ok. I made a commitment to finish this film and I'm going to stick with that", you say resolutely, and hoping he is satisfied.

"That's what I was afraid of", he mumbles under his breath, but not enough for you not to understand.

"What does that mean?" You ask, and his head snaps over to you.

"Nothing", he says, forcing a smile. We'll figure it out." He then turns his eyes back to the road, his lips in a hard line, eyebrows scrunched together; but he doesn't say anything else. You shrug your shoulders and consider the matter closed. True to his word, he doesn't mention it again, and the rest of the road trip is quite pleasant.

Taron has decided the take the southern, more scenic route, and there are so many fascinating things to see along the way. You make a quick stop at Highclere Castle which is really exciting since that's where one of your favorite tv shows was filmed. The rich history and beauty of the English countryside continues to amaze you at every turn, and driving over the bridge that spans the Bristol Channel is exhilarating to say the least. This is such a different world than what you're used to, it's easy to forget that such places really exist. You feel like you could spend months exploring these historic towns and national parks, but before you know it, you find yourself crossing over the hills into Aberystwyth, and you see Taron visibly relax as he returns to his beloved hometown. He has booked you into a Bed & Breakfast on the waterfront, but he suggests grabbing a bite first and having a picnic on the beach. You think this is a wonderful idea, especially since you're starving. It suddenly occurs to you that you have no idea what the room situation will be at the B&B. Has he booked two rooms for you both, or just one? You assume you'll find out soon enough.

After stopping at a local sandwich shop for sandwiches, chips and soda, you drive down to the parking area of the beach and gather your belongings. Taron has apparently thought of everything, and pulls a blanket out of the trunk of the car for you to spread out on. Then the two of you make your way down to the rocky seaside. After selecting a suitable area close to the water but not too close, he spreads out the blanket and you lay everything out on top. You sit down to enjoy your picnic lunch, as a light breeze blows your hair and the salty air fills your nostrils. This is in a word, perfection.