Chapter Seven: The Long Walk

You are really hoping that Taron knows his way back since you are directionally challenged and really weren't paying attention to how you got here. Plus, you are so fatigued, you think you might just pass out at any moment. You are thankful you're wearing your comfortable sneakers that you always wear on set because of all the walking and standing you do. But at this point, you could be wearing Elton platforms and it wouldn't really make a difference since you can barely move one foot in front of the other. You know you get a little whiny and snippy when you're tired, so you try your best not to sound that way as you complain to Taron.

"Uggh, Taron, I feel like I'm gonna pass out. How much further do you think?" You know you've only been walking about ten minutes but it can't be that much longer, right?

"Shouldn't be too much longer. I really am sorry, it never even occurred to me that a guard would show up and steal our golf cart", he says shrugging his shoulders.

"Well to be fair, you're the one that stole it Taron. HE was just returning it", you point out. When he doesn't argue, you continue with your lament. "I feel like I'm walking through mud, wearing hundred pound shoes, while carrying an elephant on my back." He chuckles at this and you glare over at him.

"Come on, you're going to make it, I promise", he urges throwing his arm around your shoulder to support you. Normally you might feel uncomfortable walking like this, but you actually welcome the support now and lean against him letting him take some of your weight.

"So what's next?" you ask sighing. "Now that the young Elton scene is done. What are you filming when we get back on Monday?" you ask trying to stay awake by making conversation.

"Well, there are few more younger Elton scenes that we need to film at the cafe with Bernie and some street scenes. But Monday we're filming "Your Song" because they need to strike the Pinner house set to make room for some new ones." His voice has grown soft and subdued.

"Oh yeah, I remember reading that now in my notes for next week. Longer hair Elton, so a different wig", you recall.

"Yep", is all he responds with. You're wondering why he's suddenly so quiet. Maybe he's finally as tired as you are. But you can't help but wonder if it's something else.

"You ok?" you ask nudging him a little with your hip. He grins slightly at you but doesn't speak right away. You look at him with a smile, eyebrows raised prompting him to go on.

"Yeah...I guess I'm just a little...nervous." This surprises you.

"Taron Egerton NERVOUS? I don't believe it. What could you possibly be nervous about?" you ask jokingly but he doesn't smile.

"Stop, I get nervous too you know. I just don't always show it", he says and you can hear the hesitation in his voice now.

"Ok, I'm sorry. Go on", you say seriously.

"Well, remember how I have to sing a song live on set?" You nod your head. "Well, this is it. I have to play the opening chords on the piano, remember all the lyrics AND sing live. And remember to act all at the same time! And this is like the defining moment of the start of Elton and Bernie's career. Well, one of them anyway." He pauses, thinking. "I just don't want to screw it up, you know? It's a lot of pressure...", he says quietly. There's that passion again that amazes you and makes you literally stop in your tracks when he speaks this way. You turn to face him in the moonlight.

"Taron, you are an incredible performer. I mean, from what I've seen which I admit isn't much. But I see how everyone just completely loses their minds over your performances. I'm actually a little bummed I don't get to see more! But even without having really experienced it first-hand, I have no doubt in my mind that you are going to nail this scene. The passion and drive that you have to do Elton justice is beyond anything I've ever seen in an actor." Suddenly his eyes light up and he claps his hands together.