Chapter Fifteen: The Bad News

Author's note: Hi! I hope you are enjoying "The Make-Up Artist" as much as I am enjoying writing it! Hopefully, you have been reading the whole thing, but just in case, be sure you have read the very first part, "Prologue: The Photo" before reading this chapter. It will make a lot more sense!

After leaving Taron's apartment the night before and another fitful night's sleep, you wake to a text message from Olivia saying you aren't needed at the studio today since they are just going to be doing promo shots with Taron's new hairdo. But you can, "stop by if you want to". Really?? She can bet her sweet ass you're going to stop by. The whole thing angers you to no end and you've just about had it with her attitude toward you. You decide to call Taron just to make sure he is awake and amongst the land of the living, and to tell him he needn't bother picking you up since he's probably hung over and you aren't on the schedule today. After four rings, he finally picks up.

"Hellllo?" He answers gruffly and you hope you haven't woken him.

"Taron? It's me. Are you awake?" You ask hoping he isn't too far gone.

"Mmm, yeah. Just got out of the shower", he says and you hear a muffled noise in the background. Is he actually drying off as you speak?

"Oh, ok. Good. Just wanted to make sure you were up and moving." When he doesn't respond, you continue. "No need to pick me up today. I'm on a... light schedule", you don't want to tell him that you "aren't needed".

"You sure?" He mumbles out.

"Yes, just worry about getting yourself there and I'll see you a bit later", you say then pause. "You feeling ok?"

There is a pause on his end then, "Yep. Only I woke up this morning to see that someone had shaved my head", he says with a hint of sarcasm. There's your Taron. You smile.

"Hmm, now who on Earth would do such a thing", you say playfully.

"Beats me, some Yankee chick I think."

"Ok Taron, I'll see you in a little while", you say laughing.

"Bye love", he says before you both disconnect the call. You wonder just how much he remembers about last night. Does he remember his admission to you? Did he even know what he was saying? You don't know if you want to ask him about it or not, but you can't think about that now. It's time to get yourself ready and get to the studio to see what Olivia is up to.

Since you aren't on a particular schedule today, you decide to change it up and take the train. That turns out to be a bit of mistake because it takes you twice as long to get to the studio and the station you have to get off at is quite a ways from the studio entrance. But, it gave you time to do some people watching and thinking. However, you still don't know if you want to bring up what Taron said to you last night when you see him today.

Upon arriving at the make-up trailer, you are disappointed to not only not find Taron here, but to see Olivia smirking at you as you enter.

"Hi Olivia", you say in your usual cheery voice you use when addressing her. "Everything go ok with dying Taron's hair?" You are genuinely interested.

"Of course", she says in her snottiest of voices. "We ARE professionals you know. Lizzie was...interested to see that you had taken it upon yourself to shave his head", she says practically turning her nose up at you then turns her back. You roll your eyes.

"Ohhhhk, where is Taron?" You ask not the least bit shy about asking after him.

"In his trailer waiting to be called for photos I suppose", she says her back still turned toward you.

"Thanks", you say coolly and turn to exit the trailer.

"Wait," she calls and you turn back to face her. "He left these here", she says handing you a pair of rose-colored star-shaped glasses. "Be a doll and run these down to him", she says in a fake sing-song voice.