Chapter 7

I hear a knock at my door and wipe the tears off my face. “Go away Flame” I shout through the door.

“It’s not Flame” I hear Zaus say.

“What do you want?”

“Just to talk. Raven please open the door.”

I open the door slightly and look at him. “Yes?”

He pushes the door open wider and comes in. “You just disappeared, if I didn’t know better I would have thought that you attacked them for no reason.”

“How do you know I didn’t” I say with narrowed eyes. “A certain guard told me” he smiles. I look at him for a few seconds and then shake my head. “You don’t know what I’m capable of.”

“No, but I know you’re not the type of person to just randomly attack someone.”

He hits the wall with a thud as I pin him against the wall. “You really want to test that?” “You won’t do it” he says with an unshaken gaze.

I get close to his neck,but then stop and drop him with a growl. “You are mistaken in placing your trust in me. I’m not as controlled as you think.”

He walks over to me and places a hand on me, “Yes you are.” I turn to look at him and scoff,”yeah right, that’s why I tried to drink a dead guys blood like some starving animal.”

“You were hungry, and you held on for way longer than a vampire without control.”

I shake my head, “Not at all. I was starving, still am” I say with a dark chuckle.

Zaus meets my eyes and then starts to pull his shirt collar away from his neck. “Feed from me.”

“You don’t know what you’re asking” I say as I feel my fangs extend back out as I take a step closer. His pulse is beating faster and I take a deep breath. “I need you to calm your heart rate” I say taking a deep breath.

Zaus takes a deep breath as I get closer and have my fangs over his neck. The door opens up and Flame pushes me aside. “What do you think you're doing” he growls at Zaus.

Zaus looks between me and Flame, “Nothing. I just came to tell you that you have been noticed missing from the dance. I’ll see you back there” he says with a slight bow before leaving.

I look at Flame as he barges our connection with concern and questions. I lay my hand on him and take a deep shuddering breath as I return to looking human. “Let’s go.”

The dance is in full swing still when I go to stand beside my father. “Where have you been” he whispers quietly but with a hint of anger. “There was some urgent business that needed to be taken care of.” My father nodded with understanding, “Are you ok?”

I nodded and looked at the dance floor, “Yes and Flame took the necessary precautions.” My dad pats my shoulder, “Do you need to go eat?” I shake my head, “That will not be necessary.”

My dad gets ready to chastise me about my eating habits but the music stops. I see Zaus over my dads shoulder but he avoids my eyes. “We would like to thank you all for coming, but we must call it a night.” My father says. The crowd groans but claps in approval of the night.

After everyone has left its just Zaus and I. “Zaus-” I get ready to say something but he stops me. “Night Raven” he says before shutting the ballroom door behind him.

        Flame comes up behind me and lays his arm around me. “Come on Raven, it’s time to get you back to your room” he says as he starts to direct me out of the ballroom and to my room. “Thanks for being there” I say as I give Flame a hug. He hugs me tightly back and then pushes me towards my room. “Goodnight your highness.”