Descent

SIDAPA

I own your life... every single one of you!

With the snap of my fingers, I get to decide who lives... and who dies.

Why should I even be bothered by your cries? Your pleas? Your tears?

I don't owe anyone any explanation.

I alone have the power to decide your worth, your time on Earth, and the manner in which you will breathe your last breath.

You dare call me cruel? Petty? Fickle? Unjust?

What right do you measly humans have to pass judgement on me?

I am above your meager scope of knowledge, and even smaller logic.

I heard your prayers:

- A husband who just now lost his wife and unborn child due to the inability of a neighbor to assist in childbirth;

- A group of fishermen drowning because they were fools to set sail in the middle of a storm;

- A little girl who came home late because she lost track of time playing with her playmates. She slipped and fell in a ravine due to the constant rain. She died with my name on her lips.

I heard every single one of these prayers. Calls for help. Tearful pleas. So?

Why should I help?

What do I get out of it? Were there sacrifices made to me lately? Offerings? Burnt lamb to sway me to help you? None!

You have all but forgotten about me.

You only call out when you need a favor, but forget me the minute my blessing is bestowed upon you. And yet you call me cruel?

I'll show you what cruel is!

The clouds scattered, as the dark ten horned figure of Sidapa descended the heavens to land on Mt. Madjaas.

From where he stood, a gigantic, black, knarled tree with spindly branches that reached a mile suddenly appeared. Markings on the bark became visible, names and lines to measure the lives of everyone... those that were being born, as well as those nearing their deaths.

The tall, bulky, black figure of Sidapa frowned at the vastness of the land before him. He was hungry, as always. In need of offerings and gifts.

He continued to walk down the mountain, his form suddenly changing to that of an old, weak woman.

In this disguise, he had no idea that his disposition towards the humans would change.