Grief

"Bring back my brother... bring back my parents... Return to me all that you have stolen!

"You foul beast. You have taken so much from me.

"Why do you even exist! You should not exist! Give me back my family. Give them back to me, Sidapa. I want my family back!" Bulan sat crying on the cold damp soil of the lake where he and Sidapa first met.

The fireflies returned the minute they saw Bulan descending. The mermaids all excitedly swam to the surface as well, only to have their bright smiles turned to uncontrollable sobs as they too cried for the sadness in Bulan's heart.

Sidapa knelt beside Bulan, and held him in his arms as the boy shook uncontrolably while crying. He tried to shake off Sidapa's arms, but the god of death did not flinch nor release the crying figure of the moon god.

"I am sorry this had to happen. But Subang's purpose in this lifetime has been served. It is time you and your siblings realize that, and take up the mantle he has left."

"Purpose? His purpose is not finished yet! I still need him here. I... still have not made amends. It was my fault that he is gone. I should have listened to him! I never should have doubted that he was only looking after me. I was too foolish to turn my back on him." Bulan replied, then burst out crying again.

"This was the price life extracted to teach you a lesson. For you to grow in knowledge. For you to learn from your mistake... and become a better person."

"The price is too high. I would rather not grow, if it is the only way to keep my brother alive." Bulan argued.

"I am sorry little one, but we don't always get what we want." Sidapa caressed Bulan's back, feeling the grief with every heart wrenching sob the boy made.

They stayed that way for a long time, finally Bulan slowly stood, wiping his tears with the back of his hands.

"I must be on my way. Haliya, and my other siblings must be worried."

"You can't leave, my brilliant moon. Haliya asked me to look after you until she returns to fetch you. She's afraid the beast might strike again." Sidapa helped wipe the tears away with his thumbs.

"I'm not a child, I can defend myself." Bulan scowled at the towering figure of Sidapa.

"Well, you're acting like one right now. I thought you said you've learned your lesson? Listen to your elders. They only want what's best for you. Besides, Haliya said you are the least adept at swordsmanship. Too young to handle a sword?" Sidapa held Bulan's face between his palms.

"I'm sure I can handle your sword." Bulan replied, shocking Sidapa into another one of his boisterous laughter.

"Your innosence is so endearing. You have no idea how your simple words can have a different meaning. Come, I have something to show you." Sidapa wrapped his arms around Bulan's waist, and a dark cloud formed around them, enveloping them in total darkness.

In less than a second the clouds dispersed, and they were transported to the top of the mountain where the black tree was located.

"Give me your hand. There is someone who wishes to speak with you." Sidapa took Bulan's right hand, and guided it to the bark of the black, knarled tree.

White light seemed to radiate from the other side of the tree. Before Bulan could ask Sidapa what was happening, a familiar figure stepped out of the tree, smiling.

"Well, if it isn't the little troublemaker. I am happy to see you safe."

"Subang!" Bulan rushed to embrace his eldest sibling, he wept once more, and repeatedly told him how sorry he was.

Subang on the other hand tried to console Bulan, telling him it was not his fault. He further explained that the Bakunawa had a purpose, one that life will reveal later.

They talked way into the morning. Just before the sun god, Adlaw appeared, Bulan and Subang said their goodbyes to each other for the last time.

The sun threw everything into a dazzling brightness, as Subang's radiant figure entered the black tree again, to rest for all eternity.

Sidapa hid Bulan under his dark clouds to prevent the moon god from being burned by the rays of the sun, and they slept together in each others arms.