Sacrifice

"I sent him back."

"What? Why!" Haliya asked Sidapa whose frown was back.

"I told him Subang was right. That indeed I was after his light to use in the underworld. I knew it was the only way he'd listen to your older brother... if he was proven wrong.

"I did not want to cause any quarrel between your family. So, even if it meant me losing him, I had to lie." Sidapa explained.

Haliya noticed the fireflies were missing. The lake was shrouded in darkness. Even the mermaids were afraid to surface for fear that Sidapa might turn his anger on them.

"But he has not returned. Subang is worried sick. He has abandoned his post, trying to scour the heavens, the sky, the sea, even land to find his favorite sibling. Subang fears he might have been too harsh on the little one. He said he would apologize, lower his pride if it were the only way to bring Bulan home."

"Then where could my brilliant moon have gone? If he isn't with..." Sidapa never finished his sentence. He was interrupted by a loud growl, the shaking of the ground, and the splashing sound of water.

The Bakunawa leapt from the sea, devouring Subang who was calling out Bulan's name as he tried to look for his little brother. Haliya screamed in terror as Subang's light was snuffed out from the sky, and the Bakunawa returned with a big splash to the sea.

"Subang!" Haliya cried.

"I cannot feel his life force. I am sorry. He's... gone." Sidapa exclaimed.

"I must return at once to the sky. Bulan is in great danger. He is the only sibling without proper training on how to defend himself. Please, if he comes back, ask him to stay with you. He will be safer under your care, until I fetch him."

"I will protect him, with my life if need be." Sidapa replied.

"Thank you." And Haliya slowly ascended, until she was with her remaining three siblings.

"Search for my brilliant moon! Do not return without good news!" Sidapa commanded.

Immediately a hoard of black bats, black butterflies, black crows, and black ravens flew enmass to search the entire world... for a moon that has gone missing.