Mingle

"They have abandoned us!"

"Let them. They were never obliged to serve us."

"Then what good are they to us? If they will not offer sacrifice, nor pray to us? What purpose do they serve as our creations!" Sidapa's voice boomed in the center of Kaptan's ballroom where all the gods were having a discussion.

"We created them to populate the Earth. We blessed them to become self sufficient. We guarded them so that we would be reminded of our generosity and benevolence... not to be our slaves." Kaptan replied.

"Then what is to become of us?" Pandaki voiced out his question, ever ready to show his support for his master Sidapa.

"We continue to exist even if our creations have turned their backs on us. Our lives are not dependent on the creatures that have come to exist through our hands, quite the exact opposite." Maguayan answered, her veil removed to show her glowing beauty.

"We will continue to survive. To exist. We will remain, in the background. Ever present. When they need us, when they call out to us... we will extend our help. Until then we leave them to their own devices. Our creation is developing, improving. We should be happy." Kaptan ended the discussion.

"The change is too abrupt." Sidapa looked at Kaptan like a lost child. Bulan came to his side, holding his hand as he stared lovingly into the towering figure of the death god.

"We have each other. We will keep ourselves busy, tending to our own lives as we keep an eye on creation. You have eradicated the threat posed by Asuang and his minions by erasing their entire race's existence from the surface world. In the blink of an eye, you have also contained all of your night creatures to dwell in the confines of Mt. Madjaas, and have forbidden them to leave the protection of the shrouded mountain. All this to further protect the humans that you now have learned to care about." Bulan said.

"Yet they grow farther away from us even as we speak." Sidapa countered.

"It's alright. They may try... but they will never completely forget us. Our story will be handed down from generation to generation. Through word of mouth, through tales and folklore, even bedtime stories to put their children to sleep... we will be present. When the time comes, we shall comeback to reclaim our dominion over them. But for now... we leave them be." Bulan explained.

"Then I have a proposition to make." Sidapa turned to Kaptan.

"What is it?" Kaptan asked.

"Mingle with them. Allow Bulan and I to live on the surface world. To keep an eye on them, to keep them from harm's way, to understand them better."

"We can do that from here. Why must you degrade my son's position by shoving him into a filth infested surrounding like the surface world." Lihangin argued.

"To get a first hand experience father. In order to understand them better, I must... Sidapa and I, must live with them." Bulan explained.

"But Mayari is already doing that for us. I do not wish to expose you to the dreadful state that these creatures are living in." Lihangin exclaimed.

"Let him go. He is tied to Sidapa now. He must follow where his husband goes. I am not happy with your decision old friend, but I will allow it for now. Note however that if you expose Bulan to the slightest threat, I will have you to answer for it." Kaptan warned.

"Careful grandfather, remember Sidapa is now both the war god as he is the god of death. His powers exceed yours. You are making empty threats." Bulan smiled.

"No, my brilliant moon. Kaptan is still the chief god, and more importantly... your grandfather. As such, I still fall below his stature. You have my word old friend, I will always protect and cherish Bulan over my own wellbeing. He will forever be in the best of care." Sidapa promised.

"See to it that you do. Father won't be the only one after you if Bulan is in any way hurt or harmed." Lihangin said.

"When do you leave, master?" Pandaki asked.

"Whenever Bulan is ready."

"Then we leave tomorrow night, under Haliya's watchful eyes." Bulan answered.

"So soon?" Magwayan said.

"There is nothing more for both Sidapa and I to do here. Grandfather has his duties to keep the sky in order, father has his duties to sustain life, while you have your duties to ferry souls to the afterlife. Pandaki will be in charge of judging which soul is rewarded or punished. That leaves me and my beloved dark cloud to keep the surface world in order." Bulan politely answered his grandmother Magwayan.

"Tomorrow night it is then. My brilliant moon and I leave for our new life. I shall keep the tree of life safe and out of harm's reach by asking Bulan to transport it to somewhere safe. Only he will know its location... it is him alone that I trust with my life." Sidapa said.

"The surface world will be challenging for you both. Your powers will need to be hidden from the humans, or they will either fear you, or try to use you. Take care that you both do not fall into anyone's trap. I will be checking in on you frequently." Kaptan said.

"Try not to eavesdrop when we are both in bed, you might get shocked that big hands also mean big..."

"We understand Kaptan. We will be careful." Sidapa interrupted Bulan.

"Then all is settled. If there is nothing more, I must return to the underworld. I still have a few souls to ferry to their final destination." Magwayan explained.

"This meeting is concluded. Everyone return to your respective tasks. Report anything out of the ordinary. And please stop stealing my prized lychees!" Kaptan said.

"So we start a new life, my brilliant moon." Sidapa turned his attention to the smiling moon god.

"I guess so."

"Are you scared of the change?" He caressed Bulan's cheek.

"With you? Never." And Bulan enveloped the much bigger god in a tight embrace, as the other gods watched in awe of their sweetness.