Illusion

"The seventh moon is an illusion."

"What?" Bulan asked surprised.

"There is no seventh moon. Well, atleast not technically. Notice how right after Subang was devoured by the Bakunawa, the seventh moon has also gone missing?" Sidapa asked Bulan as he held the stick above his head.

They were practicing as usual when Sidapa opened the topic about the secrets of the sky. Their sticks, acting as swords held aloft, stopped in midair as their conversation turned serious.

"Well, maybe the seventh moon is also in hiding." Bulan tried to reason out.

"There is no seventh moon, Bulan. You cannot lie to me. It is nothing but an empty shell."

"Then why does it still hang in the sky?" Bulan countered.

"That's a topic for your grandfather to address. It is not my secret to divulge."

"Oh, so you're scared you might annoy my grandfather?" Bulan smiled.

"I merely wish to show respect for sensitive issues that have nothing to do with me. If it were about life and death, I would gladly answer any question you have." Sidapa smiled widely.

"How will I die?" Bulan blurted out.

The smile that was on Sidapa's face faded. His frown came back, but this time he was more sad than angry.

"The fangs of the Bakunawa will be your end." Sidapa answered staring at his feet, his shoulders slumped.

Bulan approached the towering figure, and placed both of his hands on either side of Sidapa's shoulder.

"Atleast now I can be careful." Bulan hugged Sidapa who held him tightly in return.

"Promise me something?" Sidapa asked.

"What is it?"

"Promise you'll never fight the sea monster? Promise you'll avoid engaging the Bakunawa at all cost?"

"Then what is all this training for, my death god?" Bulan smiled.

"Probably so Sidapa could keep you firmly planted on the soil instead of climbing the sky again." Haliya replied, slowly descending, her light diminishing as she approached.

"Haliya! It's so good to see you sister. How's Mayari? Is grandfather going to do anything about the Bakunawa before we're all digested?" Bulan asked running to hug his older sibling.

"I have some bad news." Haliya spoke.

"What has happened?" Bulan asked.

"Mayari is no longer..."

"Mayari is dead?" Bulan started to cry.

"No, she is not, silly. But she won't be joining us with lighting the night sky. It's just us now, Bulan."

"Why so?"

"Mayari fell in love... with a mortal. She taught him the art of healing and mixing the herbs. Of the seasons for planting and sowing. Of carving wood and creating weapons. The mortal is now a shaman thanks to Mayari." Haliya explained.

"And grandfather has agreed to this?" Bulan asked.

"At first he was not happy about it. Hence he stripped Mayari of all her powers and turned her into a mortal. Then he thought better of it. Grandfather is looking forward to more granchildren. The next batch of light bearers. A new breed that combines the bloodline of the Sky and Earth."

"So he's resigned to let you and I become food for the Bakunawa while Mayari serves as a vessel to populate the world with half gods?"

"I've learned never to question grandfather. More often than not, his reasons are valid. Also he told me he'd rather have one of his moons marry a mortal... than lose her to death." Haliya looked at Sidapa, and the god of death averted his stare.

"He probably meant that literally, not personally. Right, Haliya?" Bulan pressed her for an answer.

"I don't know." Haliya said looking at her feet. "But I'm happy that Mayari has some of her powers back, since grandfather decided she needed to be able to defend herself on the surface world."

"Which reminds me, Haliya. What was grandfather's answer before when we asked him about the lifeless moon?"

"Bulan! Sidapa is with us, he can hear." Haliya reprimanded her younger brother.

"He knows. Or have you forgotten he is as old as grandfather?" Bulan retorted.

Haliya was reluctant to discuss their secret at first, but succumed to Bulan's nagging.

"He told us about the four siblings. Likalibutan, Liadlaw, Libulan, and Lisuga. The oldest wanted to storm the heavens to steal their grandfather's power and claim the title as chief god. He succeeded in convincing his two younger brothers by threatening and scaring them. Upon reaching the heavens though, grandfather being aware of their plans and intention, struck them down with a lightning bolt... instantly killing them all.

"Lisuga, the only girl amongst the siblings went looking for her brothers and climbed the heavens to ask her grandfather. She was struck down by lightning also because grandfather thought she was in on the plan too.

"Grandfather was so distraught after what he had done, that he turned his grandchildren into something more than mere dead bodies.

"Likalibutan became the Earth that yielded to vegetation and animal life. Liadlaw, the sun. Libulan is the lifeless moon we have now in our midst when all six of us moons are present. And Lisuga became the stars." Haliya finished.

"Yes. Yes, I know all that. But can you remember his specific answer when I asked what the lifeless moon is for?" Bulan asked impatiently.

"He told you not to bother yourself with things beyond your concern. That life has a purpose for everything on, below, and above the sky. He also reminded you to never lose hope... that your light will be brightest at your most darkest hour."

"More riddles from that old man. I wish he could just answer me once with something concrete." Bulan complained.

"Perhaps he did. Maybe it was you youngsters who failed to understand his reply." Sidapa said, hands behind him, and smiling sheepishly.

"What is it with old men and their need to act all mysterious?" Haliya asked.

"Probably an age problem." Bulan answered, and Haliya giggled with him. They soon lost their smiles when Sidapa started running after them, swinging the big stick he was holding to spank their behinds.