Fear

Kuna

"Stay away from me!"

Two days ago I woke up with a splitting headache. I had no idea where I was. I slowly opened my eyes to stare at the most beautiful woman I could ever lay my eyes on.

My head lay on her lap, she was sleeping as well, her back to a sturdy coconut tree.
It was then that fear gripped me.

She's one of them! One of the moons that I have so foolishly angered. I had to get out of here, but where to? I am literally a fish out of water here, or in this case a sea serpent.

I was unaccustomed to my surroundings. The last thing I remember was visiting the island where my beloved Aria was killed by her own people. Feeling sad and shedding tears of loneliness, I was suddenly approached by a woman in a white cloak, a staff with a moon crest in one hand, while the other held a savoury dish of roast pork with honey sauce.

My mouth watered immediately, and I opened my mouth the minute she said it was an offering to me for keeping the island safe from pirates. Foolishly I ate it. Then everything suddenly started spinning.

When I came to, Asuang and his men were in a circle around me, night had decended. The woman in a white cloak had vanished, but her spell has turned me into a human.

My scales were gone. In its place was a fragile material called a skin. I could breathe on land too, and my gills have disappeared. My wings are now transformed to these shaky arms and wobbly legs. My tail was now positioned infront, between these weak legs, but I could not wag nor control it. It simply hung softly half way to my knees, useless and emabarassing. To make matters worse, I was naked... nothing to cover myself with!

Asuang and his minions saw me as food, a hapless victim, and they started to advance towards me with their long split slithering tongues hanging.

I spoke in a voice that was low, almost rumbling, surprisingly different from my voice when I was the giant sea serpent. I informed Asuang that it was I, his friend, Bakunawa. They started looking at each other, curious, surprised, and doubtful.

Then I heard Asuang order his men to slaughter me. He said I was a threat, and it was the perfect time to be rid of the only thing linking his participation to the murder of the three moons. He hurriedly told his monsters to dispose of me before I could tell the gods of how the plot to rid the world of the light in the night sky basically came from him.

They advanced on me. Their sharp claws and pointed fangs started to cut through my frail body. I was in pain. I could neither defend myself nor flee from the onslaught. I still did not have control over my limbs, enough to run or to strike back.

I suddenly thought of the moons I devoured. Is this what they felt? Is this how they knew their lives were at an end? By fangs and claws, through bites and scratches? It was a fitting end for me, that which I had done has now come back to claim retribution.

I cried in pain, praying that my end would come soon. I prayed for the forgiveness of the moons, I knew now that I should not have brought them into the trouble I had with the people of the island. If only they could hear me. If only they would listen to my plea...

And then she decended. Floating majestically she had her sword held high. Defending me against Asuang and his men. Driving them away, and killing those who even as much tried to approach her. A sword of lightning, and a mask of stars, adorned her regal stature. I was saved, by the last person who should care for my safety.

I passed out. The pain was too much. The last thing I saw were her sparkling eyes, they left me breathless, a drowning sensation, a lack of air that had me gasping. She carried me away, softly telling me to stay calm, because she will take care of me. She repeated, she cooed... she promised. And then, I lost conciousness.

"Stay away from me!" I tried to run away from her. This was how it has been since I regained conciousness two days ago. I would sleep each night in the cold breeze coming from the sea, but would wake up warm in her embrace... sheltered and safe.

"I brought food! Why do you always run away from me? I'm not here to hurt you. Is your brain even functioning?" I heard her say.

It was late in the morning, she looked sleepy and tired. Her lookout lastnight must have worn her out, yet instead of resting my goddess has chosen to check on me and make sure I was alright. I should die right now, I feel so ashamed, so worthless.

"I don't need your help! Go away. Please! Just leave me alone." I shouted running through the shrubs, my silly loin cloth getting tangled once in a while in the thorns and branches.

"Stop!" She commanded, suddenly appearing infront of me in a white smoke. The grass and shrubbery bowing down to her, leaving me out in the open and exposed to her glare.

"If you do not wish to see me, then atleast eat something. I brought sweet yam, some fish, and a few logs to help you cook your food. I just want to make sure that you are well taken cared of. When you're strong enough then you have my word, I will leave you on your own. I am Haliya, I'll be around when you need me. This island is secluded, you'll be safe here." She turned and started to float away.

"I am... Kuna. I am in your debt, my moon goddess. Thank you... for everything." And I saw her smile, radiant as a star and warmer than the sun.