Pride

KAPTAN

"I was once young. Inexperienced. Lacking in wisdom, strength, and understanding. I was hard headed, proud, and unreachable.

"The supreme deity Kanlaon was what gave life to three lesser gods who would rule the world. Myself to rule the heavens. Maguayan to rule the seas. And Sidapa to rule the underworld.

"Sidapa was seldom seen, he wanted nothing to do with either Maguayan or myself. He was always busy in his own domain. Lurking in the shadows. Always grumpy.

"Maguayan and I were arch enemies. We lived to torment each other on a daily basis. We played pranks on each other like kids. We used to throw things at each other, just to annoy ourselves and pass the time away. She once threw a giant conch at me, I knew from spying on her daily that she used this conch as a tub to bathe in. She got furious at me when I wouldn't return it to her. To assuage her anger, I made it rain for an entire week to add to the waters in her domain. It worked, and for awhile she didn't throw anything at me. But still, I kept her precious conch.

"I had a son, Lihangin. Born from my breath. He was as much a god as I was. Proud, untouchable, fearless. One time when he was floating over the expanse of the surface world, his eyes landed on a goddess riding the waves of the ocean. She was Lidagat, daughter of Maguayan and born of foam. Needless to say, my son fell in love with her instantly at first sight.

"Maguayan and I decided to declare a truce, and our children were soon after married. They were happy, and had four beautiful children. And for awhile, their lives were perfect.

"In the duration of the truce however, I got to know Maguayan more, and the once inexplicable disdain I harbored for her was suddenly turned to something akin to longing and yearning. I married her after the first of our grandchildren was born.

"My wife, Maguayan, was what grounded me. She was the voice that calmed my restlessness. Hers was the wisdom that answered my every question. Her laughter, the only sound that could wipe away my anger.

"The names of our grandchildren were: Likalibutan whose body was made of rock. Liadlaw was made of gold. Libulan of copper. And our only grandaughter Lisuga was made of silver.

"When my son died, he left a heartbroken Lidagat behind. Unable to live without him a day more, she soon followed him in the afterlife.

"My wife Maguayan cried everyday. Her pain in losing her only daughter was so immense that she wished she could travel to the underworld to see Lidagat once more.

"In my own sorrow, I became too focused on trying to find a way to console Maguayan that I lost track of my growing grandchildren. Their discipline and character formed without my supervision and guidance.

"With the passing of their parents, the young ones inherited the powers that both Lihangin and Lidagat possessed.

"The eldest, Likalibutan, inherited the power to command the winds. The new abilities that came with the awakening of new powers made him ambitious. He wanted to storm the heavens, and take control of everything from my seat of power.

"He bribed and pleaded with his two younger siblings, Liadlaw and Libulan, to help him. When he did not succeed, he turned to threats. Both younger boys were frightened by the sheer bulk of their older brother, and gave in to Likalibutan's demands.

"I came home to the deafening sound of the gates being forcefully opened. The loud heaving sounds alerted me of their intention to wrestle my power. They were going to try and take absolute control away from me.

"Having returned from trying to cheer Maguayan up all day, and feeling tired, I became irrational. In my angered state, I let loose lightning bolts that struck each of my grandchildren, burning, melting, and instantly killing them.