Chapter 12

Alison's POV

As I emerged out of the small house, I was met with a horrifying sight. The people were fighting valiantly, but it wasn't enough. Fire raged around us and Kanen's men continued to fight on the ground and on horse back.

"There's too many of them," I muttered to Merlin who stood beside me taking it all in. He seemed to contemplate the situation before his face set in a hard look.

"Not for me there isn't"

"No. You can't. There are too many people. You could be seen. You could be executed!" I exclaimed knowing full well what he wanted to do.

"Its the only way, Ally. If I don't, more people will die. I can't let that happen." I stood silently and looked at him. He wasn't just speaking out of worry. He was speaking out of guilt. He blames himself for everything that's happening. I look around and simply nod my head. I know it has to be done, but that doesn't mean I want him to do it.

Merlin mutters an incantation and slowly starts to lift his hand. I move away from him and try to protect those who are getting attacked. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a small tornado forming. With every passing second, it becomes stronger and stronger until it starts to blow everyone back. As the tornado nears, I lose my footing and fly back into a pile of hay. I groan as the air gets knocked out of me, but at least I'm still alive. Kanen's men start to retreat from the storm. I lift my head higher until I am sitting on the pile and start to smile. He did it. Merlin really did it.

The tornado disappears as fast as it arrived. The remainder of Kanen's men are beaten to the ground and killed. Just as I was about to celebrate, Kanen emerged from the chaos and bellowed, "Pendragon!" Prince Arthur notices him and they start to fight. I watch on with wide eyes and slowly start to panic. The prince is skilled, but so is Kanen, but worst of all, he doesn't play by the rules. He plays dirty and does whatever he can to win. I leave my spot and move towards them. I see my mother and go to hug her. She pulls me close to her and just then, Arthur runs Kanen through with his sword. Kanen falls slowly until he is completely on the ground.

Silent tears gush out of mothers' eyes, but they aren't out of sadness or remorse. Kanen has terrorized us for years and now, he is finally gone. I pull her to me and we stand there for a while. I go to look at Kanen's body, except he is no longer still. He goes to grab a crossbow. I push mother aside and run towards Prince Arthur who is most definitely Kanen's target. When I push him aside and stand where he stood, however, Will pushed me out of the way and the arrow pierced him in the heart.

I kneeled beside him and held his head up. My eyes widened as I looked at the arrow lodged inside of him. "You stupid stupid boy," I said. Arthur looked at us with a horrified expression.

"You saved my life," he said to me.

"Not important right now. We need to get Will inside," I asserted before picking up his head while Merlin took hold of his legs. Together, we brought him to a house that wasn't burned down. We laid him on a table and he surprisingly started laughing.

"Will, now is not the time to laugh. Your jokes may be morbid, but this is something else," I said in a stern tone. "What were you thinking, jumping in front of me?" I asked with tears building up any eyes, but he just kept laughing.

"Looks like I saved both of your lives," he said looking at me and the Prince.

"Me?" Asked Prince Arthur.

"It was me. I used the magic. I knew we were going to lose so I started that tornado and blew them away. It was the only way," he said before going into a coughing fit.

"You should stop talking and save your strength," I said while applying slight pressure on the wound with a bundle of rags. Will placed his hand on top of mine.

"There is no use Alison. I'll be executed for using magic either way. It's better I die saving you than for magic," he said. He was right, but I still didn't want to move my hand away. Will is my best friend. I have to save him. He can't just die, especially not because of me.

Slowly, Wills eyes started fluttering until they closed all together. His chest stopped moving beneath my hand, and I knew he was dead.

People say that when you die, your life flashes before your eyes in those final moments. As I looked down at Will's unmoving body, every moment we were together played in my head; our childhood, pranking Merlin and the villagers, laughing at dumb jokes. When Kanen first attacked, Will protected me in case anything got out of hand. When I would be upset, he comforted me.

Silent tears rolled down my cheeks as I recalled all the times we spent goofing around and the times we protected each other. I was subconsciously aware of someone moving my hands from him. I felt hands on my shoulders. I allowed myself to be pulled into someones embrace. I felt everything and nothing all at once.

I pulled away from who I realized was mother, and walked out of the house to the edge of my cliff. I looked out at the lands below; the rolling green hills and the numerous amounts of trees. I looked at the sky and how impossibly sunny it was.

I looked at my bush. The bush that held a small collection of sharp objects made with varying materials and a small, clean cloth. I looked at it and grew angry. My ability was useless. It was of self preservation. I could heal myself, but not the ones who mean the most to me. Merlin has the useful powers. Merlin saved us today. Without Merlin, we would all be dead. I was knocked out for most of the battle, and when I was present, I barely helped. I was simply there.

I went to the bush, retrieved the case, and threw it from the cliff. I wiped my face of any remaining tears and turned to walk back to everyone else. When I turned, I saw Merlin standing there with a look of sadness. I walked to him and hugged him. The longer we hugged, the tighter Merlin's grip on me became until he was sobbing and holding on as if I would disappear if he let go. We sunk onto the ground and I held him. Will was Merlin's best friend as well. They were closer than Will and I were.

When Merlin was done, we simply sat there. We looked out over the edge of the cliff until it got much darker. We silently stood and made our way back, our arms around each other, still mourning the loss of our closest friend. 

I AM BACK FROM THE DEAD! 

The video at the top is what I watched before finishing the chapter. I listened to it while I was writing the end and drafting the next chapter. 

I was going to make this chapter longer, but I like how it ends here, so i'll just continue everything else on the next chapter.

I know in the show, Merlin's reaction, isn't as dramatic or long, but I had to ask myself: How would I react and feel if I lost my best friend?  For the sake of the story and the characters, I decided Will deserved more than a few tears.