Chapter 21

Merlin didn't want Alison to get out of bed, but that didn't mean she listened. Morgana had given her the days off so she could rest, but she felt useless. When she heard Merlin leave, she snuck downstairs and almost made it out the door when she heard Gaius's voice.

"Its nice seeing you away from the bed," Gaius said. Alison jumped and leaned against the door.

"Hello Gaius," she smiled sweetly, walking over to the man and hugging him.

"I was under the impression you were going to be using the day to rest," he said, looking at her sternly. Alison sighed.

"Honestly, Gaius. I feel fine," she said, twirling around to prove her point. Alison did look a lot better. She seemed to completely bounce back despite being on the brink of death just yesterday. Still, Gaius wasn't so sure she was okay.

"Just because you feel okay, doesn't mean you are."

"Gaius, trust me, I feel good! And a walk around town will make me feel better," she said, walking back to the door. She gave him one more wide smile before rushing out. Alison sighed, happy to be out, and made her way to the town. She was happy to be back in the town, but she couldn't help but look for Azrael as she walked.

As she walked to the lower town, she spotted Gwen who seemed to be in a good mood. "Gwen," she called out, walking towards the girl she was glad to call friend. Gwen looked up, startled, before beaming and engulfing Alison in a hug.

"Alison! You're awake!" She said excitedly. Gwen pulled away and examined the girl. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better. Honest," Alison said, putting her hand over her heart. Gwen smiled at that, happy the younger girl was okay.

"So. What has you all happy?" Alison asked.

"My father got me this beautiful dress. He says that things are looking up for us," she said smiling.

"Thats amazing!"

"It is, but I can't help but think..."

"No Gwen. You and Tom work so hard! You deserve this and more," Alison said, linking her arm with Gwen's as they walked together.

"and what about you? You've been working hard and you get awarded with a strange illness. Speaking of, what happened to you?"

"Merlin and Gaius said it was just fatigue. Noting to worry about anymore." Did Alison feel guilty about lying? A little bit, especially considering how concerned Gwen looked, but she couldn't reveal that something strange was in play.

"Are you sure you should even be out of bed?"

"Gwen, I promise. I am absolutely okay. I actually feel more energetic than usual," Alison said, grabbing Gwen by the shoulders and looking her in the eyes.

"Oh...alright," she relented. The girls spent the rest of the day together, unaware of darkness lurking in the corner.

               ♠️

Alison woke to the sound of er door opening. "Merlin? Is everything alright?"

"I just...had a feeling," Merlin said.

"What feeling?" She asked, getting out of bed.

"Powerful magic. Here in Camelot." Both siblings ran down the stairs as they heard the front door burst open.

"Gwen, what's wrong?" Merlin asked as the girl ran over to them. She looked terrified which worried all in the room.

"My fathers been arrested," she said stepping in front of Merlin.

"Arrested for what?" Gaius asked, standing to meet the worried girl.

"They say he was making weapons for a sorcerer. They're charging him with treason," she rushed out. Alison pulled Gwen into a hug, holding her tightly. She felt the girl shaking and her friends tears seeping into her tunic, causing her to hold on tighter. When Gwen pulled away, Alison used her thumb to dry the girls tears.

"Are you allowed to visit your father?" She asked.

"Yes"

"Then go. See him and make sure he is okay," Alison said. She talked to Tom a few times and he was always kind to her. He didn't deserve this type of treatment, but something else was on Alison's mind: she knew what it was like to have only one parent. Gwen nodded and went to leave.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Merlin asked.

"No, it's alright," Gwen said, walking out.

"Gaius, before Gwen came it, I woke to the feeling of powerful magic. Its related, isn't it?" Merlin asked.

"Its possible," Gaius said, looking contemplatively at the siblings.

Alison looked from the door to Merlin before shaking her head. "I can't let her go alone," Alison said, grabbing her cloak.

"But Gwen said..."

"I know what she said. Im not letting her go without some support. Also, it's dark. The least I can do is walk her down," Alison said finally. Merlin and Gaius looked at each other before following the girl.

"Gwen, wait!" They heard her call out. Gwen stopped at the sight of the girl running towards her.

"Alison, what is it?"

"Im coming with you."

"But i'm..."

"We both know that's a lie," Alison said. Gwen looked at her friend with tears in her eyes before pulling her in for a hug.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Of course. Now come, let's go," Alison said, grabbing Gwens arm and heading to the dungeons.

As always, feel free to comment!!!