Chapter 22

"What did he say?" Merlin asked. Merlin, Gaius and Alison stood by the entrance of the dungeons, wanting to give Gwen some privacy.

"He said Tauren came to him at the forge, offered to pay him a fortune for his help—not to make weapons. For an experiment or something."

"What kind of experiment?"

"Tauren didn't say. But he used some kind of stone. Some kind of magic." Alison looked at Merlin at that. Gwen had just confirmed their suspicions.

"So he didn't know Tauren could use magic. That has to count for something," Alison said, hoping that this meant Tom would be found innocent.

"We can only hope," Gaius said.

"What if we talk to Arthur, or Morgana? They may be able to talk to Uther," Alison suggested.

"They already know. Arthur is the one that made the arrest," Gwen said, looking down. Alison narrowed her eyes at that, consciously taking deep breaths to remain calm. She didn't think badly of Arthur, but she also couldn't help but think of how he acted when he believed Will was a sorcerer.

"Come," Alison said. "Why don't you sleep in my bed tonight," Alison suggested as they made their way out of the dungeons.

"Alison, I couldn't. You've already shown me so much kindness," Gwen said, holding the girls hand.

"Gwen, your father was just imprisoned," Alison said, not wanting to say what they all knew: her home was not far from where her father was arrested.

"Are you sure? Where are you going to sleep?"

"I've had enough rest. I won't be able to sleep even if I tried," Alison reassured, bringing Gwen to her room. "You've had an eventful night. Now you need to rest," she said, smiling lightly. Gwen nodded before lying down.

"Thank you again," she said, eyes drooping.

"Of course. Now rest," Alison said, and almost as though a spell had been cast, Gwen was asleep. Alison sighed and went down stairs, wrapping her arms around Merlin's waist. Merlin returned the hug immediately, kissing the top of his sister's head. The strong façade she put on for Gwen was crumbling. She knew how easily Merlin could end up in Tom's position and felt afraid for her brother.

"Im here. Im okay," he whispered into her hair, already knowing why she was latching onto him. As children, she would sometimes have nightmares of Merlin being taken away. When that happened, she would always go to Merlin's cot and snuggled close to him as a way to reassure herself that he was still there. Part of her never broke the habit.

"She's sleeping now," she mumbled into his chest before letting go.

"I don't get it. What's a sorcerer want with Tom?" Merlin asked, voicing what they were all wondering.

"His forge. It's the finest in the kingdom," Gaius responded.

"You think Tom was lying?" Alison asked.

"No, I don't."

"Then what?" Merlin asked.

"When Tom was arrested, they found gold on him."

"So?"

"From what Gwen was saying, Tauren's experiment bares all the hallmarks of alchemy."

"But...that's impossible. You can't just turn one thing into another," Alison said.

"With magic, even the impossible becomes feasible," Gaius responded.

♠️