Chapter 19

Alison's POV

The bed was soft and comforting. Alison sighed contently as she snuggled further into the sheets and relished the warm feeling surrounding her. She found comfort in the sounds of soft rainfall against the window. Even with her eyes closed, she could tell a candle or two had been lit, but she didn't mind. For the first time in a long time, she was completely at peace.

Moments passed before she heard the sound of a door opening softly, followed by the sound of light footsteps. She shifted before opening her eyes and being met with soft amber green eyes. She didn't fully recognize the person in front of her, but she felt no alarm. She smiled up at them as they smoothed down her hair and cupped her cheek. They gazed down at her before leaning down and whispering, "Why don't we go for a walk?"

Alison got up, shivering slightly as the cold air touched her. She wore an intricate black robe made of silk with gold embroidery that sparkled in the candle light. She stood next to the familiar man. He held his arm out to her and they started on their walk.

The palace was dark, only illuminated by the moon and candles that were placed along the walls. The man led Alison to a balcony overlooking a beautiful forest. Above them, the sky was illuminated by hundreds of stars and the full moon. She let go of the mans arm and gazed up in wonder. Somehow, it seemed the stars got brighter. She felt an arm loop around her waist, but instead of shying away, she leaned into the person next to her. His grip tightened before he moved her so that she was in front of him, leaning against his chest. Moments of comfortable silence passed before the man started speaking: "I miss when our life was like this. Everything was much more peaceful. We would spend hours outside, simply enjoying the view." His voice seemed nostalgic and sad. Alison tried to remember all he was saying, but she couldn't. Her mind drew a blank.

"Why can't you keep living like his?" She asked, becoming confused. She felt safe and at ease, yet she was struggling to figure out who the familiar man was. He chuckled before kissing the top of her head.

"Because, darling. The purge rid us of any peace we may have had." Alison was tired of being confused, but she couldn't help it. He was speaking as though they were...what? Lovers? She looked down at his arm around her and softly moved it away from her, adding some distance. Looking into the field, she closed her eyes and concentrated: she was Alison, daughter of Hunith. The day before, she was in Camelot, walking through the town....

Her face became serious and her eyes sharp. "Where am I?" She demanded. Azrael sighed and rubbed his face with his hand. He looked into her eyes before answering:

"Technically, we are in Archeron, but literally, we are in your mind."

"My mind? But....how?" Alison asked, looking at the sky that seemed so real.

"I brought you here," he answered, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. Alison rolled her eyes at his condescending tone.

"Yes, but how? And why? Did you do something to me in the market?" She paused her questioning to look him over. If there was anything she had learned in the past few years, it was everything is not what it seems. Both she and Merlin look completely normal, but can do crazy things. "What are you?"

Moments of silence passed before Alison looked him in the eyes. Azrael was shocked, but impressed. He didn't think she would start questioning him so directly. Then again, he should have known better.

"Mara," he finally said, deciding it best to just tell her. She looked at him like he had grown three heads. Alison had never heard of such a thing.

"Okay. And what is a Mara?" She asked.

"We are ancient creatures. We've been around longer than man."

Alison pondered that for a moment before looking up at the sky. In all honesty, she just wanted to avoid his eyes. "You talk as if you are hundreds of years old. Are you?" Alison's question was met with silence. When she looked back at Azrael, he looked shocked. She took his silence as a cue to continue: "So that's it then, isn't it? You are over a hundred years old, maybe older."

"Yes"

"So you've literally seen kingdoms rise and fall?"

"Yes"

"And you might live for many hundred years more?"

"Yes"

"And Archeron is, what? Your home?"

"Yes," he answered again, tired of her questioning. To his joy, she kept quiet for a little while before speaking again.

"Still doesn't explain why you brought me here. Why me, of all people? And why now?"

"Listen, lets just say I am here for your protection," he said with a tone of finality. Alison still looked unsure, keeping her eyes narrowed at him. She didn't know why she was mouthing off at him so much. If her mother were here, she would get a stern talking to about "being rude" and "asking too many questions" but she couldn't stop herself. No matter how many times she tried to shake it off, the feeling of comfort and familiarity never left, so she used this newfound boldness to her advantage.

"Why are you protecting me? And from what?"

"The world is full of darkness. I am just protecting you from it." Alison was getting frustrated at this point.

"Thats nice and all, but why? You haven't given me a proper answer to that yet." He looked her in the eyes and for the first time since being there, she felt fearful.

"I brought you here on the off chance you would remember, but seeing as that's not happening, you can go home," he said sharply, and before Alison could protest, she was back in her room breathing heavily.