Goodbyes

This chapter's purpose is to give you some background on Enid.

I hope you grow to love her as much as I do.

♢♢♢

A week later she received a letter from the university offering her a full ride scholarship.

A smile stretched widely across her face.

She was packed and ready within an hour.

Saying goodbye to the villa was harder than she expected.

Hugs and kisses were traded with all of the staff.

A somber air surrounded the estate. The young girl's absence would be felt deeply.

Her nanny since birth, Fiona, pulled her to the side.

Her wrinkled hands lifted up to rest on either side of her face. She suddenly felt both so young and old.

"Enid, my child, listen to me. I could not be more proud of you," Her eyes crinkled as she smiled. "I remember changing your diapers when you were just a wee little one. Now you've gone and grown up into this beautiful and bright young woman. You are meant for something special. Don't you forget that."

Enid's eyes glistened as she hugged Fiona tightly, trying to memorize the accented sound of Fiona's voice and the soft floral of her scent.

She was the closest thing to a mother she had ever had.

"He would be over the moon proud of you, too, child." Fiona whispered in her ear.

Tears shined on both of their faces.

"I love you," Enid whispered back.

She climbed into the car and tried not to look back as she drove down the long driveway away from the grand building that had held her entire life thus far.

So many memories flashed through her mind.

Picnics on the lawn. Playing with her dog, Charlie. Gardening with Fiona. Running alongside her father's car as he arrived home from one of his trips.

She shoved them all back into the box in her mind that she had trapped them in.

Now was the time for new beginnings.

Her fingers twitching with anticipation, she drove toward the airport.

♢♢♢

Comments fill my heart with joy!

Love always, Sappho.