Ensemble

Hello lovely readers!

Hope you enjoy!

✢  ✢  ✢

Sunday drifted by in a soft haze.

Enid spent the day in bed, reading books and watching cartoons.

Anything to keep her thoughts at bay.

She spoke on the phone with Fionna for an hour, telling her about her first week of university.

She carefully omitted the events of the bonfire and morning after, not wanting to worry the maternal woman.

In the evening, she allowed herself to cry.

She wept until her tears ran dry and then rose from her bed.

Washing her face, she grew determined.

She would go to the dean tomorrow and report the incident.

For herself and to protect any future girls he may attempt such awful things with.

When Monday dawned, she took extra care while getting ready.

She had barely slept, haunted by the smell of smoke and the ghosting of fingers on her sides.

Her knees and palms were still sore.

The fingerprint bruises she had found on her ribs were lightening to a pale purple.

A soft green sweater complimented her amber hair, a matching ribbon holding it back from her face.

She wore her bravest face as she walked to Psychology.

Her thoughts couldn't help going back to that night.

How much did Dr. Easton know?

Or Dr. Drewitt for that matter?

Sighing, she entered the historic building housing the lecture hall.

Her small footsteps echoed in the large hallway leading to the auditorium.

"Enid. May I see you for a moment?" A deep voice called from behind her.

Turning quickly, she found Dr. Easton leaning against a doorway she must have missed.

She smiled softly at the godlike man, she backtracked toward him.

He gestured her inside of the room and she found that it was his office.

Monochrome, minimal furniture filled the space.

Sharp lines, expensive pieces.

It was exactly what she imagined his space would be like.

No nonsense. All that he needed and nothing more.

He pulled out a chair for her in front of his stately desk and took his own.

His dark azure eyes studied her intently.

Her shy gaze flitted away from him, glancing to the awards and plaques littering the walls and bookshelves.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, leaning forward.

"I'm okay, thank you. How are you, professor?" She responded kindly.

Something dark flashed in his eyes but was gone when he blinked.

"I'm well, thank you for asking. I'd like to..." his husky voice paused, seeming to search for the right words, "apologize. For what occurred Friday night. And for not being there in person to help you the morning after. I wish I had been."